I usually just deposit it right away, but w/ some of the weirdness going on here at work lately, I figured better to be safe than sorry this round.
It’s not that i don’t trust our company, cuz i really do, but it’s just annoying having to worry about your check bouncing every now and then. For once i wanted to know 100% that i have the money and it’s safe and sound. Plus, i was up for the adventure ;)
So, i followed a fellow co-worker to the bank where the check was issued from (that way it clears %100 and you get cash right away), paid my $5 fee for doing so (i hate banks), and out we walked full of greenbacks!
It was the first time i clearly saw my paycheck – and i was mesmerized. I couldn’t believe i brought in THAT much every 2 weeks!
We all know how much we make, but there’s a HUGE difference seeing it electronically over piles of cash. A slew of feelings took me over, and it went something like this (in order):
- WOW, $1802.00 in pure cash sitting right in front of me!
- I’m so proud of myself, that’s a lot of money!
- I wonder how many $50’s are actually in there? (36)
- Man, imagine all of the stuff i can buy with this! (i daydream for a bit…)
- $hit, every last bit has already been budgeted for…
- I can’t believe i go through ALL THIS every 2 weeks.
- How the hell do other people survive on much less?
- I REALLY need to figure out a way to keep more of this.
- How cool would it be to go 100% cash from now on and F the computer age?
- I really hate seeing this…it’ll all be gone in no time.
- Damn, i hope no one jacks me on the way home!
My emotions really were all over the place, it’s just so CRAZY how the mind interprets the money this way. I mean, it’s still the SAME $1802.00, right? How can seeing it in actual dollars be that much different than seing the # up there on the screen?
I don’t have the answers for you, but what i DO know is that it was quite majestic :) A feeling that has since come and gone, but a beautiful one all the same. I’m not sure if i’ll try it again anytime soon – losing $5 each time and then carrying around all that money before re-depositing is pretty insane – but i’m willing to bet i’d find ways to keep more of that cash around!
Have any of you tried this? Or maybe get paid this way in your line of work ;) bow chicka, wha wha!
PS: Some of my favorite tools:
|Personal Capital (FREE) -- If you’re looking for a robust financial tracker, Personal Capital is the way to go! They’re like Mint, but on steroids and have much better tools for investment and net worth tracking. // Full review|
|Digit (FREE) -- A super easy (and automated) way to save. Every day Digit analyzes your income and expenses and will push money aside for you any time it sees extra sitting there. I've saved over $4,000 myself using them so far! // Full review|
|Acorns -- Having trouble finding money to invest? Check out Acorns – they round up all your transactions to the nearest $1.00 and drops the difference into an investment portfolio for you. Easy way to start investing! // Full review|