I know, I’m calling myself out as a huge psycho here. I really can’t help it though, this part of the year gets me all excited and giddy! There’s something so satisfying about gathering all your paperwork for the year, and then closing it all out.
It’s like the Super Bowl of your Money, if you will ;) Of course, it’s probably a bit more fun considering I don’t actually DO the taxes myself – I use an accountant. Haha…
It sucked at first paying the $150-$200, but I’ve come to appreciate the work she’s done over the years…esp since my personal circumstances keep changing all the time (live in VA, work in DC – work in DC, live in MD, single then married to grad student, etc). I’m sure I could figure it out if i just took the time to learn, but I always feel like accountants can *find* all the good stuff i’d miss?
Do you all tackle your taxes? Or do you suck it up and pay someone to hook ’em up for you? Regardless, Tax Season is awesome and I’m in heaven right now. Here’s a whole mess of reasons why i heart it so:
- You feel all organized and $hit!
- You get to see, and analyze, an entire year’s worth of finances.
- It brings back a lot of memories like “Oh yeah, i forgot i got paid for doing ___”, or “it feels good donating $____ this year!”
- You get to close out another year, and start a new one.
- You feel accomplished putting it all together and handing it over!*
- You don’t have to do any of the dirty work.*
- You feel like a PIMP cuz you “have people”!*
- You get to anxiously wait and see how much you’ve won!
- Your $ gets automatically deposited into your account.
- You feel like a baller until it all disappears ;)
Needless to say, I cannot WAIT to see what i win! I brought in a cool $4k last year, and I was neither married NOR paying the mortgage for the entire year. So that’s gotta bring in even more, right? I dunno, I’m just hypothesizing here…in all honesty really, I’d be happy as long as I just don’t have to give anything back.
PS: Some of my favorite tools:
|Personal Capital (FREE) -- If you’re looking for a robust financial tracker, Personal Capital is the way to go! They’re like Mint, but on steroids and have much better tools for investment and net worth tracking. // Full review|
|Digit (FREE) -- A super easy (and automated) way to save. Every day Digit analyzes your income and expenses and will push money aside for you any time it sees extra sitting there. I've saved over $4,000 myself using them so far! // Full review|
|Acorns -- Having trouble finding money to invest? Check out Acorns – they round up all your transactions to the nearest $1.00 and drops the difference into an investment portfolio for you. Easy way to start investing! // Full review|