Haha… or not ;) But seriously, I have found a LOT in other people’s trashcans – no joke. It’s been a few years since I’ve last gone dumpster diving, but a quick scan around my bedroom this morning reminded me of the sexy FREE items I’ve picked up over the years. In no particular order:
- New York City Skyline painting! Measuring a good 5 ft by 3 ft too. Apparently the previous owners were too lazy to replace the broken glass frame it was in – and it’s been hanging smack dab in the middle of our room ever since!
- Black book shelf. I don’t know why but this one really excites me. And I’m pretty sure it only costs like $15 from Ikea or something too – but it just fits so PERFECTLY next to our bed! And holds a lot of personal finance books & magazines to help get me in “the mood”…I mean…
- Big white book shelf. This guy sits in the Blogger Lair and holds a ton of books too. Some of which I actually still need to give away at some point! Might have to create a gmail reminder for that one, keep forgetting. But lovely book shelf none the less ;)
- Antique Bible. This one was a pretty interesting find, actually. It looks like it’s at least 200 years old! And fits will w/ my gothic motif. Or what’s left of it, anyways (much harder to keep up a look like that when you go from a studio to a 3 level townhouse! so much more room to fill up unfortunately.)
- Wicker chairs. A very sturdy and fun set we ended up using on our deck! Beat paying $50+ for something that was just gonna wear down over the years from being outside the whole time.
- Dozen or so old picture frames. Everything from gold and gaudy looking, to sleek and moderny. Some of which just hang on the wall bare boned w/ no picture or anything in the middle ;) That’s how cool they are! Haha…
There’s probably a handful of other things I can’t recall picking up over the years, but the point is it never hurts to keep your eyes open! You don’t literally have to dive into the dumpster to find the goodies (although it certainly can help!), but just take a quick gander or two the next time you walk or drive by on trash day. Especially if you happen to find yourself in a very fancy pants neighborhood at that very same time. Mysteriously every single week ;) You have no idea how much “rich” people throw out!!!
And I’ve been known to dump some of my own stuff actually. Mainly due to time constraints and laziness back in the day. My all-time favorite donation to the street corner was my old (working!) standing arcade :) I had moved it everywhere over the years but it was time to finally let it go. And let me tell you something – that game was gone within 30 minutes of leaving it be! Haha… You ever see that Seinfeld episode where they try and walk Frogger across the streets as if they were IN Frogger? It was exactly like that :) Only it was two 16 year old kids trying to waddle it down the streets of New York City, I’ll never forget it.
So don’t discount free merchandise. Sometimes another person’s trash really IS another’s treasure!
PS: It seems I really like bullet points lately. I think it’s the only way my brain can piece things together right now – yikes!