<– Check out this insanely awesome doo-dad I picked up (FOR FREE) the other day at SXSW. You attach it to your fancy iPhone and you can make fancy credit card transactions! WINNING!!! D’UH!! Haha… is Charlie Sheen still “in”?
Seriously though, this little piece of technology is incredible – totally changes the game. Having this in your pocket means you can literally accept money ANYWHERE and ANYTIME. You no longer need one of those clunky small business credit card machines – or even have to BE a small business!
This puts the power of the swipe in YOUR hands, baby. Insane. I’m kinda mad I didn’t come up with it myself, but then again I don’t have the brain of Jack Dorsey who not only started this guy, but also Twitter ;) When you’re smart, you’re smart!
But anyways, if you’re still wondering how this can actually help you in real life, here’s a list of everything I could think of when a friend of mine doubted it’s brilliance. If you’ve got more to add, lemme know in the comments and I’ll update the list:
- At a yard sale (I don’t know why that was the first thing that came to mind). Your buyers run out of cash? Swipey swipe away! Perfect for big ticket items where people have to go home and then come back with their checkbook. This saves everyone time! And a solid sale too – half the time these jokers never come back.
- At your art/craft show. Or really ANYWHERE you’re selling something. I tried it for the first time when I bought Jenny Blake‘s new book last week! In person, nowhere near a register. Was crazy – took a handful of seconds and even emailed me a receipt. It’s the new sexy way of doing bizness, I’m telling ya! (Her new book is Life After College by the way, check it out! Lots of great info – esp on the pages I’m quoted, haha…)
- When a friend owes you money! You know those guys who never have cash on them? Well guess what – now you can get your money much faster. Don’t let them “forget”!
- When you babysit/mow lawns/hustle in general. You can get paid right then and there w/ your new fancy device!
- When you’re the organizer of your intramural team. If any of you have ever run your own sports team, you know exactly what I’m talking about. You have to front the money to register in the league, and then wait for all your teammates to eventually pay you back. It’s super annoying and some people just don’t get it. If you had one of these though? No more waiting for checks!
And on and on and on… basically, whenever you need money from someone on the spot you can get it. Provided they trust you enough to give you their card ;) But hell, it was just like the internet was years ago! “Don’t trust it! They’ll trick you!” I bet in 5 years every phone will be accepting payments and cash will be extinct! haha… nah, that would actually suck. But you better believe new inventions like this is really impacting the way we evolve. And you can now say you were THERE to watch it all happen :)
Questions/comments/concerns? Check out SquareUp.com for more info – you can get one for free too by signing up there and start poking around with it. Also lots of good FAQs for y’all curious minds. If you haven’t guessed it already, they charge a fee around 3% or so per transaction – which is why they want these bad boys scattered all around. Price you pay for convenience!
What do you think? Gonna get one? Any other creative ways to take advantage of this thing? If you’re wondering if I’m getting paid to pimp this, I’m not. It just turns me on like crazy ;)
PS: Some of my favorite tools:
|Personal Capital (FREE) -- If you’re looking for a robust financial tracker, Personal Capital is the way to go! They’re like Mint, but on steroids and have much better tools for investment and net worth tracking. // Full review|
|Digit (FREE) -- A super easy (and automated) way to save. Every day Digit analyzes your income and expenses and will push money aside for you any time it sees extra sitting there. I've saved over $4,000 myself using them so far! // Full review|
|Acorns -- Having trouble finding money to invest? Check out Acorns – they round up all your transactions to the nearest $1.00 and drops the difference into an investment portfolio for you. Easy way to start investing! // Full review|