Howdy ho, friends! Your boy J$ is hosting the “Best of Money” Carnival today, where we serve up the top 10 best money posts around this week. I had a lot to go through, and I think you’ll be happy with the ones I chose. And if not? YOU host it next time! ;) haha…
(Btw, for anyone new to what “carnivals” are, it’s basically a roundup of a blogger’s fave posts from the week usually centered around a certain topic (and submitted by all the different bloggers out there). Every week the blogger who hosts it changes, and the idea is that we all get to learn about new sites out there and a variety of different opinions.)
So sit back, grab your coffee, and get your learn on! Maybe you’ll find yourself a new favorite blog to read every morning? :) Or maybe I shouldn’t even post this!
Top 10 Posts This Week (In Order)
- Parenting Family Money: Is a House Cleaning Service Worth It? – It cost them a bit of money, but Glen and his family sprung for a house cleaning service for the first time ever saying, “We could have worked harder to clean up the house. But cleaning takes two things: Time and Energy. Those are a rare commodity in our household.”
- Faithful With A Few: Cash Strapped Rutgers University Pays Snooki $32k To Speak To Students! – Rutgers University paid Snooki from Jersey Shore $32,000 to speak to a group of students last week. Find out why this was such a horrible waste of money!
- Fiscal Literacy: Top 10 Financial Resolutions for National Financial Literacy Month – I liked #5 a lot: Pay yourself first. “Who are you really working for the bank, the mortgage company, the credit card company? Stop making someone else rich! You must always pay yourself first.” Yes you’ve heard it a million times, but it’s SO true.
- Personal Finance By The Book: What is Your Debt Actually Costing You? – “You might be swimming in debt, but you don’t have to stay there! If you are sick and tired of being sick and tired, decide today that you have had enough. Get angry and declare war on your debt.”
- Faith and Finance: 7 Ways To Control Your Spending – #7 was good: Make a 30 Day Rule. “The ultimate discipline for controlling your cash is the ability to say NO, and to let a period of time go by before you commit to the purchase.”
- The Millionaire Nurse Blog: What Happens To Your Lottery Losses? – Millions of people play the lottery every year and rarely win it back. Where the heck does that money go? In Georgia it goes towards education costs in the form of The Hope Scholarship but things are changing…
- Mom’s Plans: TLC’s Extreme Couponing: If You Don’t Use It, It Is Still Wasteful Even If It is Free – From the author :) “While I wish I could view TLC’s Extreme Couponing to learn more couponing skills myself, that appears not to be the focus of the show. Rather than helping other Americans who are struggling and would love to learn how to lower their grocery bills further with coupons, this show seems to be focusing on creating a freak show like atmosphere. Several of these featured couponers state that their lives are out of balance and that their relationships are suffering because of their dedication to extreme couponing.”
- The Financial Blogger: Working Your Way to The Top – A snippet that I really liked: “Are you being active for the sake of being active? If you find yourself working on boring projects, you need to switch things up and start working on $hit that matters.”
- PT Money: Build and Live in a Shipping Container Home – Don’t want a mortgage? Give this idea a try. Build your own home out of old shipping containers!! Haha… you know I’m a sucker for unique homes ;) Esp those that save you money!
And now… THE WINNER!!
- Boomer & Echo: How Many Clothes Do You Need Anyway? – What’s the condition of your closet? Could you choose six items that would hold you for an entire month? Could you go a year without buying anything new? Check this out: “I read an article about a woman who went on a self-imposed fashion fast, allowing herself to wear only six items for an entire month. The most shocking result of her four-week experiment was that no one noticed, not even her husband.”
Thanks for writing some killer content, guys! It’s always a pleasure learning about what y’all are up to out there – keeps me on my toes ;) I hope you all (my readers) enjoyed them too! Did you have any favorites yourselves? Any one that stuck out and really got you thinkin’?
Have a great Monday y’all. Make some magic today!
PS: Stay tuned for next week’s carnival, which’ll be hosted over at The Millionaire Nurse’s Blog.