It comes from a company called SteelHouse who researched the most common consumer shopping personalities in order to give online marketers insight into what kinds of shoppers help increase their sales (tricky tricky!). Here’s what their CEO had to say about it:
“Most retail marketing is focused on the ‘what’ – what product someone is viewing – but that doesn’t tell you anything about who that shopper is and what drives them to actually buy. Does that person ever buy on a first visit? Only buy with free shipping? Usually buy at full price? Without that insight, you might needlessly give discounts to people who would pay full price (*gasp!*), or spend money on ineffective offers targeting shoppers with an incentive that won’t work.”
Who knows if any of this stuff actually means anything or not, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to learn more about our own shopping habits just in case ;) Check out the different personalities below, and then let us know which one most matches you!
The 10 Most Common Shopping Personality Profiles
- Distracted Shopper – When I shop online, I often like to begin the checkout process but for one reason or another, I don’t always complete the purchase. (I do that!)
- Premium Shopper – I only buy the best. I want premium name brands with the latest features, trends and the most advanced technology. (Nope)
- Determined Shopper – I always research before I buy. I will view the exact item I want multiple times, looking for a drop in price or an offer. (Yes, but *only* for more expensive stuff that I don’t necessarily need ASAP. If I need it fast, I go out and get it after doing my best researching for an hour or two)
- Active Shopper – I am always shopping online, not always buying, but always browsing. I am not looking for incentives but they can help me convert when I’m window shopping. (Yeah, I can see that)
- Free Shipping Hunter – I like to buy online, but it has to include free shipping. If I find out the store doesn’t offer free shipping, I’ll leave and find a website that does. (Haha no, but my wife does this! :))
- Thrifty Shopper – I like to buy used or refurbished items. If I can get the same product used for much less, I’ll buy it. (Yup!)
- Loyal Shopper – I only purchase if I can join a rewards club or special rewards program. This often leads to me purchasing at the same stores. (Nope!)
- Methodical Shopper – When I shop online, I like to browse for the exact product I’m looking for. I often browse using site navigation, browsing through each product until I find that perfect product. (Nope)
- Impatient Shopper – When I shop online, I search for what I’m looking for at a given site. If I don’t find it immediately, I look somewhere else. (Yup!)
- Wish List Shopper – I like to shop online—I just don’t always purchase. I add everything I am interested in to the shopping cart to see what the total price might be. (Nope)
Soooo… for me, I’m pretty much a Distracted, Determined, Active, Thrifty and Impatient Shopper! Haha… what a mess… If I had to pick one though, I’d probably go with the label of “Thrifty Shopper.” Especially when it comes to Amazon, or cars, or pretty much anything other than food and underwear (ewwwwwww).
How about you guys? What category do you fall into the most?
(Photo by Mykl Roventine)