Hello happy campers! I’m back in action and feeling semi-better today – woo! And even if I wasn’t, it’s hard not to get excited for today’s topic of interest – winning the lottery :) Every single one of us has dreamed about it at some point, I’m sure.
So today’s your chance to share it with the rest of us! And I give my girl over at Dinks Finance a shout out for coming up with the questions today, as I’m stealing them straight out of her “lottery changed my life” post she recently did ;) Haha… Thanks Kristina!
Okay, here we go… This week’s Five for Friday: If You Won The Lottery…
- Would You Still Work?
- Would You Care What People Think?
- Would You Share With Your Family?
- Would You Still Live on a Budget?
- Would You Splurge?
- *BONUS* Would you take it over time, or in one lump sum? Let’s say either $200 Mil over 30 years, or $100 Mil (taxes out and everything) all at once in one lump sum?
Me go first:
- YUP! I’d still work, but then again my version of “work” is blogging and building things – the exact stuff I do now and enjoy the hell out of ;) I’d do a lot LESS of the stuff that comes with it I don’t like that much (like the marketing, advertising, accounting, and all that other boring business stuff), but no way I could sit still and not use my brain. Us A.D.D. kids are always on the go!
- Nope. At least I hope I wouldn’t :( But really who knows until the day actually presents itself to us. And believe me, it WILL come! Do you know how often I play every week? Haha… but seriously though, money does some crazyyyyy things to your brain, so who knows what I’d be up to if someone handed me $100 Mil.
- Haha, of course! Who wouldn’t share it with your family? That would be pretty messed up. Even if I didn’t trust them with the money, or what they would do with it (I DO trust them, but just saying), you could at least buy them stuff the need like a car or a house, or pay off all their loans/debts/etc etc. It would depend on how MUCH you win from the lottery, but we’d def. hook up our direct family. And Mrs. BudgetsAreSexy comes from a LARGE one so we’d be popular!
- Uh-oh… the trick question! Would I, J. Money – King Lover of ALL things Budgets – continue using one? YUP! I sure would. But the numbers would look a bit different I’m sure, haha… ;) Not that I’d be increasing my lifestyle by a CRAZY amount or anything (we’d invest a huge chunk, and then donate a lot from the start) but we’d def. be taking a nice break from being all hardcore-like up in here. And I’d hire an adviser ASAP too. No way I’m gonna venture off into this one w/out a little guidance :)
- You’re damn right I would! I’d buy that c300 I’ve been slobbering all over on the past 2 years, and then a ton of new clothes and shoes I’ve been too frugal to buy too :) But really, other than that, and maybe an upgrade in our housing situation – however that looks at the time – there wouldn’t be much more on that list. Unless the wifey has something in mind? I’m pretty satisfied with the actual “stuff” I have, and the idea of having a ton saved up/invested/given out to the less fortunate would be much more satisfying to me than just blowing it for the sake of blowing it. Oh! And I’d extend my traveling addiction too :)
- *Bonus* Man, I really don’t know… I’m leaning toward 1 lump sum just cuz you never know what can happen down the line w/ the rules/etc, but then again it would be a fat salary! Yeah… I’d probably take the lump sum though. Better to manage it all from the beginning than over time as it comes in I think?
Okay, your turn! What are YOU gonna do w/ your $100 or $200 million you’re about to win? Remember — you can’t win unless you play! (That’s right, I’m advocating that each of you plays $1 in the next Mega Millions game, I have a good feeling… you can thank me later ;))
PS: If you’re an addict of any type, don’t listen to me.
Bonus tip: Find a good "balance transfer" offer to help pay off debt faster!
If you’ve been making payment after payment (on time) and still haven't been able to get your debt under control, snatching up a good balance transfer credit card offer may be the ticket to try. That’s where in order to gain your business - credit card companies will let you transfer your existing debt to a new card and let you pay ZERO PERCENT interest on it. Saving you tons every month!
What's the catch? Usually balance transfer cards charge a fee (around 3% of your debt balance) to let you transfer your balance to their 0% interest offer. But we've found a great credit card that will let you do a balance transfer absolutely free. Click here to learn more and see if you qualify!
PS: If you don't trust yourself with another credit card, ignore this! This strategy is to help you get out of debt quicker, not risk adding more to it.