For anyone following me on Twitter, you’ll know our 13 y/o cat – Bob – was barely hanging on to life this weekend.
Thankfully he survived (this round, at least), but it’s always scary when your pets keep getting older & sicker, and you end up visiting the vets office more than you do Starbucks ;)
You don’t wanna think about the impact it has on your wallet throughout the whole ordeal — how can you put a price on your loved one?? — but at the same time, deep down there’s always some sort of limit as to just how far you’ll go into debt for the fur ball. At least there is for me (I don’t have a number in my head, but I’ll know it when I see it ;)).
For the Mrs., however, I think it’s a totally different story. I haven’t flat out asked her about it yet – even though we should seriously talk about it soon – but I’m fairly certain she’d take out a 3rd mortgage on our house if it were needed ;) (And possible) But it brings up an interesting dilemma here: At what point do you just have to let the little guy go? When the bills hit $1,000? $10,000? When he’s totally hocked up on pain killers and is no longer leading a comfortable life? (That’s a big flag for me. Cost aside, if there’s no more turning back the “good life” clock anymore, it’s time to consider the inevitable).
This last stint ended up running us only $700 (ONLY!), but when the words “let’s take a deeper look” and “open-stomach surgery” are uttered at the same time, my wallet just about faints every time. Thankfully Mr. Bob has been pretty good at magically getting better before the big decision ever comes into play :) And I’m sure he does it on purpose just to be feisty, haha… takes after his dad!
One day, though, we’ll have to make this decision and it’s not going to be an easy one. As the years go by, it’s getting harder and harder to tell when something’s small and just takes a day or two to get over, or when it’s life threatening like this weekend’s events (it turned out he had kidney problems on top of severe dehydration, and if it weren’t for Mrs. BudgetsAreSexy catching it in time, this post might have been about funeral costs instead :( Which we did skim on actually, and agreed that we’d like to bury him somewhere in the sunlight when it comes time (he loves sun!). I thought it would be cool to put him in our back yard, but she thought it would be too freaky… and that our neighbors/H.O.A. probably wouldn’t appreciate that ;) Hmm… )
What we realized more than anything, though, was that it’s time to REALLY appreciate him as much as we can now before that fateful day comes. An hour before we joyously picked him up, a different family wasn’t as fortunate :( They lost their family dog to cancer yesterday, and watching her kennel get cleaned out was a huge reminder to be thankful for all those around us. Pets, friends, FAMILY – everyone! It’s cliche as all get out, but there’s a reason it keeps popping up throughout our lives: None of us are guaranteed tomorrow. We can go at anytime, and no amounts of money will (usually) be able to stop that.
As for Mr. Bob’s future? Well, for now we keep on loving him. The doctor doesn’t know how much longer he’s got, but whether it’s 3 months or 3 years, we’re gonna appreciate the hell out of that cat as long as we possibly can :) I don’t know how many more $700 bills that’ll mean going forward, but all we can do is take it one step at a time and do our best to make the appropriate decisions when needed. No one said taking care of pets was easy! (or cheap!)
How are your pets doing? Anyone going through something similar? Have you ever had to go in debt in order to save their life?
PS: Thanks to all those who kept us in their thoughts this weekend! Your prayers worked! :)
PPS: Remember that pet insurance I researched a while back? Kinda wondering if it would have been worth it now…