I’ve been watching a looooot of daytime television lately (I force myself to take lunch breaks now and step away from the computer for 1-2 hours every afternoon), and lately I’ve been fixated on Antiques Roadshow. Well, that and Pan am, but that’s for another day ;) It’ so COOL to see all these crazy (ugly?) things worth so much money!! Especially when the person who brought it had no idea about it too. Though I do feel bad for those who got scammed w/ fake replicas and all that, that’s gotta suck.
So since it’s been on my mind all week, I thought we’d do our 5 For Friday around that today. Let’s see how many of YOU are clever antique owners/sellers! Here are your five questions:
- Do you watch/like Antiques Roadshow? (Ever been?)
- What would YOU bring to it if you had the chance? (What’s the story behind it?)
- Have you ever scored an incredible antique deal before?
- Have you ever been ripped off before? haha…
- If you could get your hands on one piece of priceless art – any kind you want (painting, sculpture, etc), what would it be? Leave the money part out of it – go with something you’d just be thrilled to own and show at your house :)
Okay, I’ll go first:
- YUP! I watch Roadshow and I love it!! (Though I hate the freakishly-long commercials in between episodes… I should probably start DVR’ing it.) Never been. Yet.
- I would bring this ollllllld wooden Madonna that my grandpa passed down to me, which HIS grandpa, I believe, passed down to him. it’s about a foot high and hand-painted like it used to belong in an old church or ship or something… I’ve heard it’s worth a pretty penny, but no one’s ever been able to confirm it and find out. Dang… maybe I should try and hit one of these up?
- The only deal that I can remember in recent memory is that silver dollar I picked up at a yard sale a cple years back. I ended up getting it for 25 cents when it was worth about $15, and then blogged about how I kinda still feel bad about it ;) Not that I really knew what I was doing anyways, but still. I think it would be hard for me to knowingly pay a LOT less for something knowing it was worth tons more. But I guess it depends on what day you catch me ;)
- Haha, nope – haven’t been ripped off at least that I’m aware of! I’m sure back in the day I got some $hitty deals from trading basketball cards or something, but other than that I don’t remember ever having anything super valuable.
- Hmm… I would REALLY like to have the original “HOPE” Obama painting by Shephard Fairey. Not because I’m a big politico or anything, but cuz I have such GREAT memories from that time period. And I remember going to see it in the museum afterward – it’s really cool!! If that wasn’t available, I’d go for either Warhol’s Moonwalk or Marilyn Monroe – I love his style. (And obviously pop culture, haha…)
Aight, your turn! What do you have hiding and/or desires for? Any good Roadshow stories yourselves? Drop ’em like they’re hot!