Hi friends!! I’m shipping off to Bahhhston this weekend for a wedding, so since the costs of ’em all (both HAVING it and ATTENDING it) are on my mind right now, I thought we’d do a little 5 For Friday action and see what you all think about it too. Don’t be coy over there! :)
Here we go — 5 juicy questions about wedding costs:
- If you’re married, how much did YOUR wedding cost?
- Did you get frugal, or did you allow yourself to splurge?
- If you’ve ever BEEN to a wedding, how much do you usually give as a gift?
- Do you change it if you have to pay for flights/hotel/etc?
- What’s the funniest thing you’ve ever seen at a wedding? ;)
Haha… I’m *really* looking forward to what you have on that last one ;) There’s always something going down at weddings! Whether it’s someone making a fool of themselves (sometimes me! *ahem*), and others just America’s Home Video’ish. Either way, I wanna hear about it!
But first, my answers. Here we go…
- WEDDING –> One of my earliest posts were how the Mrs. and I were shooting for a $10,000 budget – way below the national average of $28,000 (!!!) – but we ended up spending roughly $16,000. Not totally on target, but also still do-able and we were able to do a lot of the things we really wanted to do. And btw, this number did NOT count the engagement ring ($7,800), honeymoon ($4,000), or the rehearsal dinner ($2,500) or any other gifts involved in throwing a wedding (groomsman, bridesmaids, parents, etc). Not that we had to pay for it all ourselves – both our parents took care of a lot of it, but cost-wise that’s how it all broke down. You can see our initial breakdown here, though we never did a follow up post on it…
- FRUGAL vs SPLURGE –> We went frugal on everything but the honeymoon (that $4k was just for lodging/food, we got free plane tkts as a gift to get there). We wanted to treat ourselves to something nice for once, and GET AWAY WITH IT, haha… it was def. fun, but no plans on recreating the all-inclusive anytime soon ;)
- WEDDING GIFT –> We used to just buy things off their registry, but after having our own we REALLY REALLY enjoyed getting cash gifts to help pay for a lot of it, so we now give everyone – no matter who it is, or where it is, etc – a crisp $100 bill. It’s easier to bring to the receptions, and it’s more fun to open. Like a little kid on Christmas ;) Who doesn’t like money??
- CHANGE? –> Nope! It’ always a flat $100 gift. Even if just one of us attends and not both. We don’t tweak our gift based on the $$ a plate costs at the wedding or how much it costs us to get there or anything (though I get why people may do so) – I just like keeping things simple. Kinda like my 20% flat tip deal.
- FUNNIEST THING –> My boy getting “Iced” during his reception! Hahaha… do you remember when that was all the rage? When you had to hide a Smirnoff Ice somewhere, or creatively come up with ways to present it to someone, and no matter where you were, or what you were doing you HAD TO DRINK IT right there on the spot? And by “drink” I mean “chug?” Oh yeah – we got him GOOD :) And then everyone said we were immature… fine by me!
Your turn! Tell me all your wedding secrets and let’s have some laughs up here today. Maybe we got some readers currently PLANNING their weddings too?! Your tips can even do some good today! Woo! Lock and load, baby.
PS: If you see me in the streets of Boston this weekend stumbling around, come up and say hi! I may not remember meeting you later, but I promise we’ll have a good time while there ;) Happy Weekend!