Seeing how today’s Friday the 13th, I thought we’d go over our darkest and deepest money fears we all have ;) Not cuz we’re sadists or anything like that, but so we can FACE these fears out in the open before they ever get too close! Sometimes just walking through some of this stuff can help make it less scary. And get you to become a little more confident in the process. That every day you’re going farther and farther away from this scary fear of yours!
I’ll go first.
I am deeply afraid of losing all my income, and not being able to provide for my family.
Like, I’m scared $hitless about this. If the internet ever explodes, I am seriously in deep doo-doo! But since I really can’t do anything about that, I gotta focus on the stuff that I CAN control. And here’s what I’m doing about that:
- I’m gonna continue to save my ass off. The more cushion, the better!
- I’m gonna get rid of ALL my debt – every last penny of it – so I don’t *need* as much money any more going forward. Something I only recently realized after all these years…
- I’m gonna keep on learning and reading and just devouring all things financial, and otherwise, so I can stay on the top of my game and make sure I’ll see the end of the internet coming before it gets here ;) Not to mention helping to bulk up my mental arsenal.
- I’m gonna keep being REAL about my money – and not try and fool myself – so I can continue to make more accurate choices down the road. All based on real life numbers, and not magical ones that sometimes get stuck in my head.
- I’m gonna love the crap out of my family. Not money-related, but if the world goes to hell, I’m hoping all my love keeps everyone sane and happy :) Or at the very least, not mad at me! Haha…
Most of all that is pretty vague, but I like getting it “out there” to remind myself that we’re doing okay with all this so far. Even though I post my numbers up, and it *looks* like I’m doing well to the average reader, it doesn’t mean I still don’t doubt myself, or wonder if I need to be doing something better, or differently, or whatever the problem may be in my head. I get scared and nervous just like the rest of you! No matter how much money (or not) we have on any given day. I think it’s only natural, and reminding ourselves of what the point of it all is every now and then helps to put things in better perspective. The more attention we pay to our finances, the more confident we’ll continue to get!
How about you guys? What are YOUR biggest fears? And more importantly, what are you DOING about them? Let’s put it all out there so it’s not as scary anymore, okay? :) This day belongs to folklore and Freddy Kruegers, not us. Let’s kill it!
(Photo by LifeSupercharger, Text by J$)
PS: Some of my favorite tools:
|Personal Capital (FREE) -- If you’re looking for a robust financial tracker, Personal Capital is the way to go! They’re like Mint, but on steroids and have much better tools for investment and net worth tracking. // Full review|
|Digit (FREE) -- A super easy (and automated) way to save. Every day Digit analyzes your income and expenses and will push money aside for you any time it sees extra sitting there. I've saved over $4,000 myself using them so far! // Full review|
|Acorns -- Having trouble finding money to invest? Check out Acorns – they round up all your transactions to the nearest $1.00 and drops the difference into an investment portfolio for you. Easy way to start investing! // Full review|