You know those people who read like 10 books a month? Well, that’s me, except I read magazines instead. In fact, I devour the hell out of them. I literally just signed up to 6 new subscriptions and I’m on a high, baby! It’s the best thing to happen to A.D.D. people since coffee ;)
And just like with books, once you’re done reading them, you need another. And another, and another. And for someone who used to not enjoy reading AT ALL – like, I’d maybe go through 1 book ever 5 years – this revelation has been a God send. Especially when I found out you can actually *learn* from them instead of just looking at all the pretty pictures the whole time! (Which is still fun to do, of course) So before you go telling me I’m a fool for “wasting my money” on all of this stuff, at least consider the fact that I’m now a smarter fool, okay? :)
And actually, you’d be pretty shocked at the money I’ve already spent on some of these magazines cuz I used to buy them SEPARATELY at the airport every month last year! Instead of signing up to a subscription like normal people do cuz I enjoyed the thrill of buying them so much on the spot and reading ’em right away. It was like crack to me, and it was less fun if I brought the magazine from home (I don’t know why?). So in reality, I’m actually SAVING a butt ton here. And now that I don’t travel at all much anymore, I’m missing my fix! (And I’ve also ran through all my other four magazines already from the month, boooooo…..).
So what does my magazine collection include, you ask?
- Money ($14.95/year) — My all-time favorite magazine :) Will never get tired of it.
- Kiplinger ($12.00/year) — This one ranks up there too. Pretty much all the money ones do, haha.
Smart Money ($10.00/year) — Same here.Since shut down :(
- House Beautiful ($15.00/year) — Just started checking out this one when I kept stealing them from my sister on beach week last year ;) Figured now that I’m getting into house stuff again, it’ll be a good way to keep up my inspiration. And a nice break from all the money reads too.
- Veranda ($15.00/year) — Picked this one up the other week when we had our $5.00 Groupon deal here, remember? That’s 1/3 the original price! Not too shabby… (another good house/pic. book)
- INC ($12.00/year) — **NEW** One of the magazines I kept picking up at $5.00 a pop. So def. worth $12.00 a year! Haha… though when I bought it, it was reduced to $7.00/year?? I must have snuck in before Amazon changed it. If you like businessy type stuff though, you’ll love this one :)
- Entrepreneur ($11.97/year) — **NEW** Another one I’d spend $5 bucks on every other month. Some of our favorite financial/social media guys write for it too! Including our own J.D. Roth :)
GQ ($19.99/year) — **NEW** A bit more expensive than the others, but a nice change from all that money/business/house stuff. This one’s for making me a better manly man ;)
- Fortune ($19.99/year) — **NEW** I got back and forth on this one, and probably could have done without this year (I took 2011 off from it), but my fear of running out of magazines to read at night got me to get back on the train again. If I find myself overwhelmed at any point, it’ll be the first to get the chop. Though it is an interesting read.
- Tattoo ($29.99/year) — **NEW** Definitely new! My desire to get another tattoo has been rising every single year since I got my first one 10 years ago. And while I can easily research and scour the web for cool ideas and what not, I prefer it in print to give my eyes a break from the computer screen. I also love the culture behind it all, and actually do read the articles ;) Though I don’t think my wife believes that, with all the half naked girls in them and all, haha…
- Inked ($29.95/year) — **NEW** I freakin’ LOVE the layout and pics in this one – a bit more upscale looking than Tattoo and the other mags, and I can go through them pretty fast anyways. So now we get double the tattoo fun :) (Oh, and the price tags?? Man, they’re high! But considering they go for $8.00 a piece – no joke – it’s def. worth it to me, at least for the first year.)
Overall it’ll cost me $200 this year for over 140+ copies of my favorite all-time magazines. Which I’ll read mostly in-full, and then scan all the others for a nice “word break” with all the pretty images of houses/tattoos/sharply dressed models, haha… it’s a perfect concoction really ;) (Also, I like how I have INC and INKED on there – almost the same word, but with totally different meanings!)
I even have a spreadsheet I keep that tracks all the prices I paid, their renewal dates, *where* I go to pay them (online vs. mailing check, etc), and how long I’ve had them for. I HATE getting all those “You better renew now or you’ll never get these mailed again!!” trick notices they do to get you to re-sign up like 6 months earlier, it’s bonkers. I never knew how much longer I had left, so I started the spreadsheet so I’m always on top of it going forward. And then I found out you can look at the code they put on the notices too, which sneaks in the actual date it expires! Haha… did you know that? It’s always small and black and very hard to notice if you’re not looking for it. And I never even knew you could buy mags on Amazon either! That’s what really sent sent me over the edge last night ;)
So yeah. My name is J. Money, and I’m a total magazine addict. You’ll never find me saying to cut them out of your budget like coffee or TV (I hate those tips!) cuz for some of us they prove to be very very valuable – and fun – things in our lives. We all prioritize differently, right?
How about you? Do you rake in the subscriptions too, or are you more of a book person? Or have you given up reading all together, except for this insanely awesome blog here? ;) I wanna know!
PS: I’ve picked up the book, “The Intellectual Devotional Modern Culture,” while I await for new mags to hit the mail, and I gotta say – it’s pretty exciting stuff! If you like trivia books, or even modern history for that matter, I think you’ll really enjoy this one. Another great A.D.D. book because every page is a new “summary” of a famous person or place or thing! Haha… You’ll like it.
PPS: Most of those subscription links up there are affiliates. I gotta at least *try* and get my money back if y’all find these helpful, right? ;)