If you’ve been following me on Twitter lately (and I know you have been, RIGHT??), you’ll know I’ve been pretty obsessed with a new subscription plan that mails you razors every month for as little as a buck. Not only is their about video freakin’ hysterical, but they also capitalize on something almost every consumer appreciates: convenience and value. (And by convenience, I mean being lazy)
Check this out for a hot minute, and then come back and finish reading –> Dollar Shave Club
I don’t now how many people have signed up just yet, but I can tell you that this thing is getting passed around everyyyyyywhere. The video’s already been watched over 3 million times, so at the very least they’ve got a killer marketing department! Even my WOMEN friends are signing up to get these razors, so they’re definitely on to something good ;) And if it weren’t for my own beard growing competition (with myself), I’d have signed up 8 days ago! (I’m on a 90+ day non-shave record, baby – watch out!)
This club also got me thinking of *other* awesome subscriptions I’ve seen over the years… including, if I do say so myself, even our own $1/mo Love Drop project we started and ended last year ;) But you all already knew about that one… how about some of these others on the list though?
6 Other Dope Subscriptions & Clubs Out There:
- Medicine subscriptions — A handful of people I know get their monthly meds MAILED to them on a nice (and even CHEAPER) rotation. Things that you know you have to pick up every single month like birth control or insulin, heart medicine, etc. But instead of heading to head to the pharmacy a few times a month, these guys get their meds delivered right to their door! A double whammy of savings and convenience.
- Wine and Beer of the month clubs — Bet you didn’t know about those, huh? :) According to The International Wine of the Month Club, “Each month, members receive internationally selected wines from two separate award-winning boutique vineyards, accompanied by our informative and entertaining wine club newsletter. Choose to receive either two reds, two whites, or one red and one white.” Their subscriptions run between $29.95 and $65.95 per month, plus S&H, and from what I’ve seen so far on beer clubs, the rates seem to be around the same.
- Grocery subscriptions — Now this one I personally haven’t ever tried, but I know it’s pretty popular among residents of large cities. You go online and check off everything you want (and even apply all your coupons), and then a service like Peapod ships them out right to your door whenever you want. If you tend to pick up the same things every trip, why not set it and forget it?
- Chocolate of the month club — To go along with your wine of the month club! Ow ow! Starting around $30/mo at places like AmazingChocolateClub.com. (Those chocolates better be damn good for that price, though!)
- ART subscriptions! Project Dispatch is one of my favorites, but I know there are others too. With them, you get the option of signing up to a 3, 6, or 12 month subscription, and in return receive an original work by an artist of your choice – running you $25, $50 or $75/mo. Pretty cool, huh?
- A lottery subscription! Okay okay, I don’t think this exists yet, but if it did I’d totally sign up! I’d love to receive a monthly (or even weekly?) scratcher in the mail for just a buck ;) So if any of you start one (and it’s not illegal?), you can consider me your first client!
There are tons of other clubs/subscriptions out there too. If you really want to be blown away, check out AmazingClubs.com. They’ve got everything from Hot Sauce Clubs to even TEDDY BEAR CLUBS! Haha… Different strokes for different folks, I suppose? It’ll be interesting to see which end up lasting, and which don’t, but it’s obvious they’re not going away anytime REAL soon, that’s for sure… If I were a smart man, I should probably get up SubscriptionsAreSexy.com!
Any of you currently signed up to any of these? Anyone signed up to something even better?
PS: Some of my favorite tools:
|Personal Capital (FREE) -- If you’re looking for a robust financial tracker, Personal Capital is the way to go! They’re like Mint, but on steroids and have much better tools for investment and net worth tracking. // Full review|
|Digit (FREE) -- A super easy (and automated) way to save. Every day Digit analyzes your income and expenses and will push money aside for you any time it sees extra sitting there. I've saved over $4,000 myself using them so far! // Full review|
|Acorns -- Having trouble finding money to invest? Check out Acorns – they round up all your transactions to the nearest $1.00 and drops the difference into an investment portfolio for you. Easy way to start investing! // Full review|