Well, I survived the Bachelor Party! My liver isn’t too happy with me right now, but I made it back safely and all in one piece :) And I actually *remember* it all too, imagine that? I must be getting smoother in my old age… haha…
I was gonna come on here and tell you about all the crazy and wild stuff we did over the weekend, but then I realized this was a *financial* blog and only part of the trip really had to do w/ money ;) But you’re not missing out on too much anyways, I only went to jail 2 times for public nudity, nothing new, haha… j/k (maybe).
Something that DID occur, however, was coming across a TON of unwanted coins all over the place for some strange reason. It was as if the people of Charleston were so wealthy that they had no need for any of that “worthless” money, and just tossed it out whenever they came across it. It was quite a thrill for someone like me who can appreciate a free shiny penny! And in some cases, even a quarter! (Though I did *not* pick some of those up, as you’ll see in a bit… *shiver*).
It all got me thinking though, about the places and people who like picking up these coins in general. Like, are they usually older? Younger? Poorer? And what about *where* these awesome coins are found? Would you pick them up in the streets? What if they were crowded? Or what if you’re with your friends? Do all these factors come into play, or are you 100% gungho one way or the other? These are the things I think about while on vacation ;)
Since I don’t know what YOU would do in any of these situations (yet), I thought I’d share a list of observations I have for myself so far. It goes something like this:
- I ALWAYS pick up coins on the sidewalk – no matter what denomination.
- I don’t do it for the money, but rather for the curiosity (I like to see how old they are, and imagine them being kicked around for decades at a time!)
- The older/more beat up the coin, the faster I’ll go to pick it up before a friend or stranger does so in front of me – that’s the worst! ;)
- I rarely pick up coins in the street, for fear of being hit by a car. Though this weekend I kicked around an old penny, and then searched for a good 60 seconds to find where it went cuz I didn’t want it to beat me! (The streets were clear, but my mind wasn’t after a tasty old fashioned)
- I never EVER ever pick up coins in bar bathrooms – ewwww!!!! And this weekend was a great test for that too as I came across a brand-new looking quarter right there starting up at me while I was peeing! Hah! It was at that second when I thought I should blog about it when I got back too ;)
- Whenever I see dollar bills on the ground, I always think someone’s trying to prank me. And I look around every single time to see if there are any cameras, or people watching me, and only THEN do I pick it up and try and be smooth about it all. Even if I’m the only one around – which actually makes it worse, cuz then I REALLY think someone is up to something! (Quick side note: I once found a ziploc bag stuffed with dollar bills outside my car door. The parking lot was completely barren when I was there, so I couldn’t find the original owner even if I tried, but I can tell you I was pretty jittery for a good 48 hours afterward. What if it belonged to some drug dealer??)
- My dad once told me that if a bird poops on your head, you get good luck. That happened to me twice in one day when I was 7 at the zoo, and 15 mins later I found TWO shiny quarters on a stump! I’ve believed in it ever since.
- He also told me if I ever stole pennies from a wishing fountain, I was a horrible person. I didn’t think there was a need to test that one out ;)
- I always thought it would be cool to keep a life-long “counter” of all money I’ve ever found. I guarantee it would be in the hundreds, if not thousands over time.
- One of the best places EVER to find money is at theme parks. Specifically, any place there’s water (like those lazy river kinda attractions). Back in the day I used to scavenge those places for hours and hours at a time finding things on the floor that fell out of people’s pockets… I once found 0ver 10 half dollars in one spot! That was an incredible day as a 13 year old ;) We also found gold rings down there, but always returned those to lost and found.
- I prefer finding nickels on the ground over dimes – I think cuz they’re bigger?
I find all of this stuff pretty fascinating :) You’re probably not shocked, I know – haha… How about you though? Do you pick up coins on the ground no matter what? Or does the whole thing disgust you? (w/ the germs and all that?) Tell us all your secrets below so we can
laugh learn all about you! No shame in any of your preferences.
(Photo by intotheforest)
Bonus tip: Find a good "balance transfer" offer to help pay off debt faster!
If you’ve been making payment after payment (on time) and still haven't been able to get your debt under control, snatching up a good balance transfer credit card offer may be the ticket to try. That’s where in order to gain your business - credit card companies will let you transfer your existing debt to a new card and let you pay ZERO PERCENT interest on it. Saving you tons every month!
What's the catch? Usually balance transfer cards charge a fee (around 3% of your debt balance) to let you transfer your balance to their 0% interest offer. But we've found a great credit card that will let you do a balance transfer absolutely free. Click here to learn more and see if you qualify!
PS: If you don't trust yourself with another credit card, ignore this! This strategy is to help you get out of debt quicker, not risk adding more to it.