Remember that social experiment Ramit was doing with giving away $1,001? I won it!! And can’t freakin’ believe it – I rarely win anything. None the less a check for a thousand bones! Haha… So thanks, Ramit – I owe you a case or two of beer at FINCON 2012 ;)
And I gotta admit – there’s a part of me that REALLY wants to change my mind too with what I said I would do with this money… It’s funny cuz it’s totally 100% FREE all the way, but as soon as you KNOW it’s yours, all of a sudden your conservative side kicks in and makes you double think everything. Even though I swore up and down (on this blog, even!) that I wouldn’t! Which I’m pretty sure was the point of giving away this money to begin w/ at Ramit’s site – he wants to know if people say one thing but do another when the dream becomes a reality ;)
So I’m torn! Especially now that we just plopped down over $1,000 on our new water heater AND we’re about to tear down part of our bathroom now (more on that in a few days, what a mess…). But then the other side of me says, “Hey $hitbrain – you said you were gonna *enjoy* this money and treat it differently if you won, so stick with the plan! How often does someone just hand you a check for $1,000??” And that side of me has a point too.
In case you missed it, here’s what I said would do if I won (NEVER thinking I ever would!):
- Put $500 into our future baby’s 529 college fund. Because I have to start it *sometime*, and $500 would be a killer way to get me motivated! Esp when it’s free :)
- Use $300 for a anniversary weekend at a bed and breakfast in wine country. I figured we’re gonna be spending money anyways for our and up and coming 4 year celebration, so this would be an even sweeter deal not using our OWN money for it all.
- Then another $200 towards a charity of my friends’ choice (since I don’t really connect with any myself). This part being the hardest, of course, cuz it’s $200 we’re talking about! But then again, I have even MORE responsibility to give back now that I’ve been so blessed, right?
- And lastly, throw the remaining $1.00 towards a fresh lottery ticket :) Since I’m now on a roll w/ luck, haha… this won’t be hard for me to do now that my lottery ticket moratorium is now over ;)
- UPDATE: I forgot about taxes! Ugh… I shall re-adjust accordingly then…
So what to do? Stick with my guns and what I truly wanted to do in the beginning? Or be boring and just use it towards repayment of our damn water heater and/or future bathroom work I’ll be blogging about soon? Tough one for sure, but at least it’s a GOOD problem to have for once this month :) And the more I think about it, the more I’m leaning towards my initial list there. If I can’t have fun with someone else’s money, how the heck can I have fun w/ my own?
What would you do in my shoes? Has any of YOUR goals changed in the past 3-4 weeks for those who played along w/ this game back then? And more importantly, does it really MATTER? At the end of the day it’s all extra, so as long as you use it towards *something* important to you, I feel like it’s all a big freakin’ WIN, right? Last week I had $1,001 less! :)
PS: Since I’m now sticking to my original goals here, tell me your all-time favorite charity! I have $200 to spend one one (or a few?) now, so convince me to contribute to YOURS :)