For the 4th time this year, I’m about to head off to yet again another wedding. Which means we’ll now have spent a little over $400 in cash just in wedding gifts alone ;) (We always give $100 checks + a tad more at times if we’re feeling more generous. Everyone loves money!)
But as I started getting all my clothes and gators ready for another rehearsal party we’ll be attending later on today, a few “what if” questions started circling my brain. I don’t know where the heck they always come from, but as you know I can never pass them up once in my brain. And lucky for me I have a blog where I can shoot them out for the world to see! ;)
So let’s pretend some of these things come up at your next wedding invite. What do you do??
- You’re asked to bring your own food (a la pot luck) to cut down on costs.
- Then you’re asked to bring your own alcohol too!
- To save space, you’re not allowed to bring a date.
- You’re not allowed to talk at all at the reception, you can only draw or write stuff out…
- The wedding will be a “Halloween” theme, so you have to come in costume ;)
Hahahaa… GOOD ones, huh? I do like to impress myself every now and then, that’s for sure ;) I don’t know about you, but here’s how I’d react in each of these scenarios:
- BYO food: Fine by me! I mean yeah, I’d miss the free meal and all that, but $hit – I can appreciate some frugality! You’re about to start your lives together and you need to save some money for that, I understand. I’d whip up a MAD amount of peanut butter& jellies and proudly walk them over to the dinner table ;) The kids there would love me!
- BYO beer: Oh man, now THIS one would suck. Although *much* better than a 100% dry event in my opinion… I’d run out and grab a case of both Blue Moon and PBR (so that everyone could enjoy!), and it would probably cost less than 2 glasses of whatever these places usually charge anyway ;) And then everyone would have a VARIETY to choose from all night – how awesome?
- No date: This would probably be the hardest :( My favorite parts of weddings are dancing and hanging out with the wifey along w/ all my boys’ wives too! Without them we’d all get in LOADS of trouble out there, haha… although that would certainly be fun too ;)
- No talky: OUCH. Is there music at least??? Cuz without that *everything* would blow. It would be like a high school dance all over again except everyone’s wearing ear muffs :( I don’t know if I could do it… I’d TRY, but I’d probably fail miserably and get kicked out. I’m not good at being quiet.
- Halloween theme: YES!!! That would be a dream come true!!! I’ve wanted to go to ANY themed wedding, really, for years – and a Halloween one would take the cake. I mean hell, even if you didn’t WANT to dress up, you could always go as James Bond or a ball room dancer or something that allows you to dress up normally at a wedding, yeah? Everyone would think you’re lame, but technically you’d be following the rules ;) I’d either go as a hardcore rocker so I could wear eyeliner and color up my spikey mohawk more, OR find a hot pink bunny suit cuz I always find those hilarious, haha… we’d have to see what my mood was at the time.
What about you guys?? Would you still attend the wedding if any of the above were to happen? Would it matter if they were close friends/family or not, or would you be game either way?
At the end of the day, weddings are supposed to be about coming together with loved ones and CELEBRATING with each other. It’s a once in a lifetime event (hopefully!), and you want all your supporters there to rejoice with you. It’s a beautiful thing!! So I could really care less about all our modern day etiquette and what all the “gurus” say is appropriate or not at these things… If the couple wants something different, so be it! It’s THEIR wedding, and they’re paying a FORTUNE for it!
Am I crazy? :)
PS: Here are some other wedding questions we pondered a year ago too – this stuff fascinates me…
(Photo by Emrys.Roberts)