Goooooood morning, friends! You ready for some kick-ass giveaway action up in here today? I gotta hook y’all up for behaving so well while I was gone the last few weeks! Haha… And whether you’re going back to school (or your kids are) or not, this giveaway is open to everyone :)
By the end of the week, one of you lucky bastards will be the proud new owner of a HP dv6-6180us laptop ($999 retail) AND an HP Photosmart 6510 all-in-one printer ($149 retail). That’s over $1,100 in free awesomeness! And all courtesy of my friends over at PromotionalCodes.com – the one-stop shop for all things deals, featuring promotional codes, free shipping codes and printable coupons from all your favorite brands (thanks guys!!).
Here are a few back to school shopping tips before we get started:
According to the National Retail Federation, the average family plans to spend $688 to gear up for classes this year. Take a cue from these tips to save as much as you can!
- Shop at home before you buy: Take inventory of every junk drawer, closet, hamper, and filing cabinet before buying, and consider what you already have first. More often than not, perfectly good school supplies like colored pencils, pens, and rulers are either lying around from older siblings, or tucked away in the corner of a junk drawer. And we’ve all found that brand new shirt hiding under our dresser. So scour your house before you scour the store, and save while doing it!
- Make a list, do your research: This is a given if you want to save money, but we all need the reminder. Conduct your research online or with the newspaper inserts so you can see which stores are going to offer the lowest prices. This research can mean big savings, especially when you’re shopping for a big ticket item like a laptop or textbooks. Deals sites like PromotionalCodes.com have Back to School offers on one page so you can easily compare deals.
- Shop off-season: Think ahead and anticipate if your family will need new winter gear. The summer months are a great time to stock up on winter clothes and boots.
- Avoid not asking for price adjustments: Store policies vary, but many retailers will honor a price adjustment if an item goes on sale shortly after you’ve purchased it.
- Teach your kids the value of money: Lastly,ask kids to contribute to their school supplies with savings from their allowance. To make this more fun, allow them to use their contribution for an item that goes beyond a basic necessity (eg, a branded backpack versus the basic version you might buy. EDITOR’S NOTE: My mom had this exact rule in place actually – if I wanted my Jansport backback back in the day over a generic one from Walmart, I had to pay the difference ;)).
To receive future updates about online deals and offers from PromotionalCodes.com, follow them on Facebook at Facebook.com/ShopSaveShare or get their money-saving tips on their deals blog.
And now, for the Giveaway!
Entering will be super easy today – all you have to do is fill in the blanks to the below question, and then leave your answers in the comments below. That’s it! One of you will then win both the laptop AND the printer, and probably call me your best friend forever ;) Here’s the question:
My favorite summer splurge was ________, and I feel _____ about back to school shopping!
It should look something like this: “My favorite summer splurge was on my baby, and I feel zilch about back to school shopping! Haha… although I’m sure that’ll change when he gets to be school aged ;)
You’ll have until this Saturday, August 4th @ Midnight to answer it, and then we’ll use Random.org to select our winner shortly after. GOOD LUCK!! And thanks for always being such wonderful readers here on BudgetsAreSexy – I’d be long gone without ya ;)
PS: Giveaway is open to U.S. residents only, ages 18 and above (sorry my beloved Canadians!).
PPS: Thanks again to PromotionalCodes.com!! You def. hooked us up today!
***GIVEAWAY NOW OVER*** Thanks for participating everyone, it was really interesting to see where all your money went this Summer! Haha… You can see the new winner of this awesome laptop & printer combo here – CONGRATS!