CNN Money just came out with their latest snapshot on the best new jobs in America right now, and not surprisingly none of them were in my own 30+ gig work history ;) I don’t know the methodology they used to come up with these 6 favorites of theirs – they kinda just plopped ’em on up htere – but either way I thought you’d be interested to see them… You know, in case you’re *ahem* bored with whatever place you’re at right now reading this! ;) Your boss isn’t around, is he/she?
Here’s their top list, along with the median pay for each of them and some pros and cons to boot. The article has a lot more in-depth knowledge on them (like “what they do all day” and “how to get the job”), but those weren’t as exciting to me, so you’ll have to click over to the article if you want more ;)
- Video Game Designer ($52,200) — PROS: You get to make games all day long! And then watch everyone enjoy them too :) CONS: Incredibly competitive – everyone and their mom wants this gig.
- Solar Sales Consultant ($45,100) — PROS: It’s thrilling to land deals and do something good for future generations at the same time. CONS: It’s sales. You have to be crazy good with people and comfortable with the instability of commission-based work. (Always Be Closing!)
- IT Data Scientist ($98,600) — PROS: Working in a cutting-edge field and getting paid BANK for it. CONS: Pretty intense and lots of burn out.
- Wind Turbine Mechanical Engineer ($61,300) — PROS: Lots of training and opportunity for career advancement, as well as travel. CONS: You have to be damn good with extreme heights!
- Social Media Manager ($41,700) — PROS: You get access to all kinds of information and business inner-workings, not to mention have fun interacting with people all day on Twitter/Facebook/etc! (For some reason CNN didn’t put that part in, but I am ;) It IS a pro!) CONS: Everything’s in “real time” and tracked, adding to the pressure. You make a dumb mistake there, and it can go out to the entire public and ruin an image! (Yours AND the company’s)
- Sustainability Consultant ($59,200) — PROS: “Enacting changes that make a real difference is enormously gratifying.” CONS: Super fast field and no room for complacency. You constantly need to be re-educating yourself with the latest practices and evolving standards.
I think #5 and #6 are my favorites – I’m already managing my OWN social media! The rest would just be too stressful and/or uninteresting to me – especially that sales consultant one, bleh. As much as I’ve been good at it over the years (I was both a realtor and a timeshare rep for brief amounts of time), sales in general has always seemed to go against my natural personality. Which sucks cuz there’s some GOOOOOD money in that field! Which I’m sure some of you are healthily reaping right now :)
I also stumbled across CNN’s Top Paying Jobs in America too while poking around – most of which we already know about. Here are the top 6 of the 12 of them I re-arranged myself by “top pay” (Again, cuz it’s more interesting):
- Neurosurgeon –> $643,000
- Petroleum Engineer –>$265,000
- Dentist –> $253,000
- Petroleum Geologist –> 247,000
- Actuary –>$208,000
- Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) –>$205,000
That’s some serious dough! And it looks like the petroleum sector is where it’s at too… The actuary thing kinda sounds cool at first glance, but I do wonder if you then tend to ROOT for the people to die when you forecast them to? You know, just to prove you were right? I’m sure there’s a lot more to it all than just that, but how do you know how good or not someone is without the hard numbers in the end? Kind of a weird and morbid gig if you ask me, but it takes all kinds to run this world! (Or the insurance world, at least, haha…)
Anyways, there you have it. The best and highest paying jobs out in America right now, and probably around the world too I reckon. By a show of hands, how many of you are already rocking one of these?? Have any more pros or cons to share with us? Or are y’all so rich you don’t need to be reading personal finance blogs at all? Haha… I’m just waiting for the day BLOGGERS get added to this list ;) Nothing says American like exercising your free speech! And getting paid for it!
Photo by Yinghai