Had a bunch of good, and dumb, things happen to us lately, so I thought it was time for another round of Hits and Misses :) Maybe your week had some good highs and lame lows too?
Our recent HITS:
- Got $528.81 back from health insurance! It seemed we were over-paying the entire time for pre-baby visits, so randomly in the mail this week we found a nice plump check to reimburse us for it all! A nice surprise for sure :) And it’ll lower our total baby costs now too – woohoo!
- Got a $100 Amex gift card! Which are my ultimate faves ‘cuz I get to splurge on myself and get whatever I want with it! My reward for being so hardcore with all our daily finances, haha…
- I bought a $200+ valued old book for only $0.07! :) Because I stumbled across a trick that may just work in other areas too: If you search for stuff you want (say, like coins or books or baseball cards/etc) in places that DON’T focus in that area, you’ll have less people bidding against you in these online auctions! And this example is a PERFECT one. I was randomly searching a stamp auction – which I had no real desire for at all – but then came across a book that I KNEW was valuable in there, but was hoping no one else had noticed. And to my surprise they didn’t! I picked it up for literally 7 cents (!!!), and it is valued anywhere from $80 to $350 depending on condition :) And this one’s a beauty (the book was the 2nd edition of “A Guide Book of United States Coins” published in 1948. The 1st edition can go for up to $1,7oo!). A MUCH better success than last month’s dealings online, that’s for sure ;)
Our recent MISSES:
- Our microwave broke :( Either from a random power outage we had for like 2 second this week (nothing happens during during Hurricane Sandy, and then on a random sunny day it just goes out?), or from my wife forgetting to put water in a bag she was microwaving ;) Which she says could not have caused any harm, but I like to push her buttons and disagree anyways, haha… And now to apparently get me back she wants that dang Hello Kitty microwave up there! Ugh… So we’re either out $50+ or $80+ all depending on who wins that battle ;) To replace our broken one will run us over $100 from our research so no way THAT’s happening.
- $60 was stolen out of my luggage bag… At first I thought I had just misplaced it in one of my jackets or jeans or somewhere, but then I remembered I had hid it in one of my shoes (that was in my suitcase) so that I wasn’t walking around town with too much cash on hand. Pretty smart I had thought, but when I went back to scour my bag for it the cash was no where to be found :( The only thing I could think was that maybe a baggage handler at the airport stole it? Or a hotel maid? Either way it looks like I need a new way of hiding my money… arghh…
- We shelled out $900 for a complete power wash and deck fixing up (a bunch of the boards were warped and falling apart). Both were severely needed, especially the power washing part (we had gotten a notice from our HOA that the moss needed to come off our house “or else”), but you still never want to shell out the money just to keep things maintained :( And while we could have done most of it ourselves, neither of us had the time or patience to do a good job with everything we’ve got going on (aka baby stuff). So we called up our trusted handyman, and he was able to knock it out no problem and even threw in a few free hole patches in our ceilings we’ve been needing from over the years. So overall it worked out well, even though we were out $900… One more thing to add to the “hating home ownership” board!
How have your finances been going lately? Anything fun and juicy happening? Or just trying to stay out of trouble? Either way, we can only do our best! Sometimes we win and other times we lose, but we keep on pushing, baby.
Hope y’all have a great weekend :)