Man, what a month of ups and downs so far… One week we save a thousand in an area, and the next we’re down a thousand! That’s life for ya, eh? Makes me even more sure I’m in the “Even Steven” category lately :) Remember that from Seinfeld? Elaine and George switch positions in life and Jerry breaks even on everything? Even when they throw $20 out the window? Haha… (he ends up finding a $20 bill in his pockets later, it’s hilarious ;)).
Anywho, thought this made for some good fodder on this lovely Friday afternoon. So here are our recent Wins and Losses so you know what I’m talking about – then it’s your turn :)
- No more $1,300 hospital bill! After 9 months of going back and forth, we’ve finally got the slate wiped clean and we’re not on the hook for a stupid $1k+ just for nursery time while in the hospital, ugh… Big ups to my wife for getting this all resolved for our family – she’s a star. And now our Baby Cost Tracker won’t shoot up a ton more too, which is nice :) Though it will a little once you bullet point #3 in the “losses” section down below, jeez…
- Locked in a few sweet consulting gigs :) I don’t promote it much just cuz it takes up a lot of time and chunk of energy each time (I really give it my all), but I’ve been better about sticking to my $100/hour rates and not discounting them left and right like I used to. Especially since I also participate in the blog mentoring program for free too. I could totally see myself doing more of this over time as time permits – it’s fun talking about blogging/business/strategy all day long! Esp when it pays :) If you ever find yourself needing an extra eye or brain on anything later give me a shout.
- SOCCER SEASON IS BACK! Which cost us $80 – so in a way should be in the losses – BUT it’s the best $80 we’ll spend all year so we’re quite happy with it :) $40/piece to get exercise and pretend we’re in the World Cup every Sunday? S-E-X-Y time!
- We dished out $1,700 for home repairs :( Our handyman finally came back after months of disappearance so we had him knock out a ton of stuff all at once… Well, we *tried* to do it all at once, but of course it took a few weeks from start to finish cuz he’s not the most reliable. But what would have cost us $4,000 only cost us $1,700 so you can only complain so much. Just glad it’s all finally over – have I mentioned how much I hate home ownership? ;)
- I let a $39.95 magazine subscription go through. Dumb dumb dumb… Wasn’t paying attention and got stuck w/ a high renewal rate for a magazine (Money) that would literally cost $14.95 had just canceled it and started afresh again through Amazon. Even pf bloggers make mistakes!
- We will spend $200 or so from our recent ER scare. The baby got some scary looking dots over Easter weekend on him, and when we called the doctors they told us to go straight to the ER (!!!) thus setting off a panic :( All was a-okay in the end, thankfully – we just have to watch out for certain signs to make sure it’s nothing major – but it def. set us back a few hundred or more when we start seeing all the bills come in… On the plus side, I gave him a killer mohawk while we were waiting in between blood work ;)
I think that covers the past few weeks here? Always an adventure being a parent, I’ll tell you what… If it’s not one thing it’s another! And that includes being a parent of a house or an animal too ;) The more precious stuff we take care of, the more money and time goes right back into ’em. It’s a good thing they bring so much joy into our lives!
How have you been faring recently? Any awesome money bombs or savings your way? Nasty debts? Either way, have a great weekend over there y’all. Life has a way of working out anyways :)
Bonus tip: Find a good "balance transfer" offer to help pay off debt faster!
If you’ve been making payment after payment (on time) and still haven't been able to get your debt under control, snatching up a good balance transfer credit card offer may be the ticket to try. That’s where in order to gain your business - credit card companies will let you transfer your existing debt to a new card and let you pay ZERO PERCENT interest on it. Saving you tons every month!
What's the catch? Usually balance transfer cards charge a fee (around 3% of your debt balance) to let you transfer your balance to their 0% interest offer. But we've found a great credit card that will let you do a balance transfer absolutely free. Click here to learn more and see if you qualify!
PS: If you don't trust yourself with another credit card, ignore this! This strategy is to help you get out of debt quicker, not risk adding more to it.