Boy, things sure do go fast once you put your mind to things. Just over over 3 weeks ago we decided it was finally time to move to a new area, and then almost 2 weeks after that we find and lock in our new place – and now, 2 more weeks later, it’s time to move out! So cool how quick it’s all going!
And we’ve got an interesting game plan here to finish it all up, too :)
- First, we need to get everything OUT of our current house (happening this weekend)
- Then, we need to put it all in storage for a month until it’s time to move into our new home
- Then it’s off to renovating our current house to prep for new renters (which we still need to get!)
- And finally, we’ll be relocating to our next holding place until it’s officially time to move. Which I’ll be divulging more about early next week, along with our renovation plans and budget… One will make you laugh and the other probably cry. Or both at the same time, haha…
Needless to say it’s going to be quite the busy few weeks here. But all things that get us closer to our end goal of living a more fun and exciting life!! This time next month I’ll be down the street at our local coffee shop mingling with the locals and explaining how people blog for a living ;) And maybe even get some new beer friends too? I could use some of those again… been out of the social scene for quite some time. Maybe I’ll even join a nerdy coin club too! Woo!
Here’s how we’ll be saving money with all this moving btw:
- Packing up everything *ourselves* – savings of around $1,000. We briefly considered hiring a crew to come in and take care of it all for us, but a) we can easily do it ourselves, even though it’s annoying and b) we had to sort through everything anyways because our goal was to get rid of 1/3 of all our stuff. Which I believe we just about did! Half of it all donated to The Salvation Army (yeah tax write off!), a quarter of it sold on Craigslist (yeah extra money!) and the rest all into the trash. I can’t begin to tell you how GREAT that feels already – we’re so much “lighter” now!
- MOVING everything *ourselves* — Savings of $1,500. This one took more convincing for us to decide on, but at the end of the day we agreed that it’s better to put in the hard work and sweat now for a couple of days rather than cough up an additional $1,500 that we’ll be needing for our home renovations coming up. So we rented two 1-way U-Haul trucks (we’re dividing it up into two separate trips) and then took advantage of their current “1 month’s free rent” offer at any of their storage units :) Which only come with 1-way rentals.
- Activating that FREE month’s worth of storage unit — Savings of $180. See above .
So instead of dishing out $3,000 to have someone move all our stuff for us, we’re gonna be doing it for less than $400 when all is said and done. About $150 for each of the U-Haul trucks (cheaper than getting only 1 btw when you factor in all the trips and gas and mileage), and then around $80 for gas and other miscellaneous packing items. And since we’re now getting the storage unit for FREE, that avoids an extra $180 cost as well. A total win-win all around, baby! (Although ask me how I feel after the weekend is over, haha…)
Everything’s moving along nice and smoothly so far :) Makes me a tad bit nervous that we’re forgetting something or we’re gonna stumble across some major road block here, but for now we keep pushing forward and inching closer to our mission: Getting our adventure back.
I’ll be blogging about all our renovation plans/costs, and where the heck we’ll be living for the next couple of weeks here in a bit, but right now it’s time to finish things up and then get the hell outta here… Clock is a tickin’!
Anyone else getting into “fun” like this over the weekend? I bet it’s hard to beat lifting heavy boxes in the dead of heat – don’t be jealous ;)
(Photo by Scott Meyers Self Storage Investing, doodles by J$)
Bonus tip: Find a good "balance transfer" offer to help pay off debt faster!
If you’ve been making payment after payment (on time) and still haven't been able to get your debt under control, snatching up a good balance transfer credit card offer may be the ticket to try. That’s where in order to gain your business - credit card companies will let you transfer your existing debt to a new card and let you pay ZERO PERCENT interest on it. Saving you tons every month!
What's the catch? Usually balance transfer cards charge a fee (around 3% of your debt balance) to let you transfer your balance to their 0% interest offer. But we've found a great credit card that will let you do a balance transfer absolutely free. Click here to learn more and see if you qualify!
PS: If you don't trust yourself with another credit card, ignore this! This strategy is to help you get out of debt quicker, not risk adding more to it.