Just read an interesting article over at Yahoo Finance talking about the best and worst jobs to go into debt for. None of which I even thought or cared about back in the day (I just wanted one I thought was fun and could get a reasonable degree in, haha…), but I’m sure there are smarter kids out there right now reading and contemplating this as I type :)
This post is for you guys.
Here were the *BEST* careers according to Y. Finance:
- Advertising — “With a median salary of $107,950, college grads going into advertising and marketing can pay off their loans in about six years.” Randomly enough I minored in Adverting myself. And my final presentation before graduating? Coming up with a way to sell more grapefruit. Haha… Know what my answer was? Make it sexier :) No joke – I researched all the benefits on grapefruit juice and apparently found something that can sex up your life more. No idea what it was, but I did get an A at the end.
- Economist — “…with a median pay of $91,860, economists also tend to fare well financially themselves, paying off their loans in about seven years…” A career about money helps you keep more of it? Who knew! ;)
- Civil Engineer — “With a median salary of $79,340, civil engineers can pay off their loans in roughly eight and a half years.” If you had to look this one up, I’m right there with you :) Can never remember what civil engineering is…
And here were the *WORST* (at least in paying back the loans):
- Veterinarian — ” The median salary for the position is $84,460, but because of those higher college costs (vets need 8 years of training like doctors), some veterinarians could be paying loans for 28 years before they’re debt free.” For a brief moment of time I thought I’d make for a great vet. Turns out I only like playing with animals though :)
- Reporter — “A median salary of $37,090, or a third of the average pay enjoyed by their counterparts in marketing, reporters could be paying student loans for 32 years before they’re done..” I admire the crap out of journalists – they have sooo much patience in researching and putting together quality articles! I could never be one. I’m too impatient :) And also stuff bores me too much. I’d rather just give my opinion on things like I do on this non-journalistic site, haha…
- Marriage and family therapist — “With the median salary at $46,670 and a minimum six years of school required before aspiring counselors can start working, some therapists could be in for 35 years of student loan payments.” Ouch. It’s a good thing they feel rewarded in other areas with this job than in money. Another profession I give big credit too – it can be life changing!
By the way all these estimates of loan payments back are according to Bankrate.com. A company I once owned stock in when trying to pick only those I loved! Haha… Notice how I said “once owned” too ;) That strategy doesn’t always pan out all the time, though I am way up with my other selections (TJ Maxx, Amazon, and Starbucks being some others).
The more *Crazier* careers out there:
Seeing this article also reminded me of two books I put aside while packing for our move. The first one was “50 Jobs Worse Than Yours” and the other, “Odd Jobs.” It had been a good 7 or so years since I last picked them up, but re-reading them for a hot minute reminded me why I enjoyed them :)
Here were some good ones from 50 Jobs Worse Than Yours:
- “It’s a Small World” Ride Operator — The chorus gets repeated 300 times a day, haha…
- Saddam Hussein Double — Now unemployed, they used to get paid $200/day ;)
- Rat Catcher in Bombay — “For the princely sum of fifty-five rupees, or one British pound, all one has to do is catch twenty-five oversized bandicoot rats a night” BLEH!
- Maggot Wrangler — What’s a maggot wrangler? someone who handles larvae and puts them on corpses in movies. *Vomit* On the plus side, they make $37-$40 an hour :)
- RateMyVomit.com Photo Editor — Remember when all those “rate my”s were uber popular? My favorite in college was RateMyFace.com. Which is apparently still around – I just checked.
- The “Before” Guy — Haha… “Stand in front of a camera for an FDA-unapproved-fast-weight-loss and muscle-gain product; vaguely resemble the “After” guy; Have a Buddha belly.”
Other jobs on the list I disagree with: Pizza delivery men/women, substitute teachers (hey now – they make excellent side hustles!), butt touch up artists (as long as they’re hot!) and Civil War Reenactors :) Though those guys are pretty hardcore. You know how hot it gets wearing all that wool in the midst of Summer? Ugh… Not that I’d know…
And here are some pretty odd jobs from the aptly named, Odd Jobs book:
- Condom Tester! — Though you don’t get to test them out in the way you’d *like* to, haha…
- Artificial Inseminator — In the world of farms, injecting hundreds of heifers a day.
- Dinosaur Duster — YES!!! AWESOME!!
- Golf Ball Diver — DOUBLE YES! Haha… “Clad in three layers of wetsuits and towing forty-five pounds of scuba gear, eighteen pounds of weights at his waist, and sixty pounds of golf balls in a net hanging from his neck, he [Jeffrey Bleim] glides through the waters of Orlando-area golf courses picking up after the mistakes of others.” This guy finds over 25,000 balls a WEEK and then ships them off to a refinishing company who then re-sells them. Now *that* is an odd job.
- Coin Polisher — I’d totally do that ;)
- Knife Thrower’s Assistant — But never that! Haha…
- Odor Judge — “At fifty-year-old Hilltop Labs in Cincinnati, odor tests are conducted daily on axillae (better known as armpits), breath, feet, cat litter, and diapers.” This belongs on the “worst jobs than yours” list!
- Barbie’s Dress Designer — At the time of this printing (2002), there were 40+ people assigned to this task. Crazy!
- Earthworm Farmer — Yes! Just like our very own worm counter we featured back in the day!
- Riddler — Not like a rhymer, but someone who rotates wine bottles back and forth over 30 times a day to remove any sediment remaining during wine making.
- Stanley Cup Keeper — “Weighing 34 1/2 pounds, at 35 1/4 inches tall and 17 1/4 inches across… it sometimes gets a seat of its own on the airplane.” Haha… neat.
So if you’re considering a new job change, hopefully this helps ;) And if you haven’t already, make sure you enter our $750 Side Hustle giveaway!! One of you lucky bastards will get a jump start on creating/improving that dream side biz of yours.
What are some interesting jobs you’re currently doing? Or have heard of before?
Photo by Capt’ Gorgeous