Harry: “I’m trying to see how little I can work today and still get paid for a full day haha”
Me: “I’ve tested that once before too :) Didn’t send 1 email, answer 1 call, or do 1 task whatsoever relating to work. No one noticed!”
That’s a recent twitter chat I had with fellow blogger, Harry (YourPFPro.com). Back when I “worked” at a 9-5 before turning into a super hustler ;) Man was I an idiot! Haha… And do you want to know the REALLY funny part to that story?? Two days after I get called into the office – thinking I’m about to get a talking to – and instead I get a RAISE!! A $15,000 one ! Haha… those were wild times back then… And I wouldn’t recommend trying to pull that off if I were you ;)
Anywho, all that randomly reminded me that we haven’t done a 5 For Friday them in a while… The last one being about the last 5 things you’ve bought which is always fascinating to see. This time around though, I thought we’d stick with the work-topic we’ve got going on and see how you guys are performing there lately… So I’ll answer them first, and then it’s your turn!
Here we go…
- What’s the craziest thing you’ve done at work before?
- What’s the smartest?
- What’s the biggest bonus you’ve ever received?
- Are you reading this from work right now? :)
- What’s your favorite thing about your company? (You know, in case your boss is watching over your shoulders)
Here are my answers:
- CRAZIEST THING: Probably what I just mentioned: going an entire day (in the middle of the week, mind you, not even a Friday) without doing a single ounce of work. Just to see if I could pull it off.
- SMARTEST: Hmm… hard one… Probably deciding to work in the startup scene in the first place after trying out the corporate world for a while. They def. have their set of problems like any other company (especially the stability), but I found I really thrived in them and felt like I was making a much bigger difference there. It really opened up my eyes on other types of employment as well, and I’m sure it played a big role in me eventually going out on my own. So I pretty much owe my career to you, Craigslist!
- BONUS: I think around $4,000. Back at my last startup we’d get quarterly bonuses just for working there (wasn’t based on performance or anything, if you can believe that), and one time we had a killer month and our $2,000 normal bonuses were doubled. Those were just one of the millions of perks at that job, including trips to Vegas and 100% matching of 401(k) contributions (as in, we put in $15,000 and THEY put in $15,000/year). It was insane. And then we crashed and burned and the whole place ended up shutting down, haha… (Have I mentioned yet how unstable they are? ;))
- AT WORK RIGHT NOW? Well indeed I am! And I don’t have to worry about getting in trouble anymore either (not that it stopped me in the first place, haha…)
- FAVORITE THING ABOUT COMPANY: That I get paid to essentially write a diary and interact with fine upstanding citizens like yourselves ;) Wouldn’t you like to spew your thoughts while drinking
beercoffee every morning?
Okay, your turn! Copy/paste the 5 questions above and then answer them below as openly and honestly as you can (with the lowest likelihood of getting in trouble). If you’re scared of getting caught, go anonymously. It worked for me :)
PS: Some of my favorite tools:
|Personal Capital (FREE) -- If you’re looking for a robust financial tracker, Personal Capital is the way to go! They’re like Mint, but on steroids and have much better tools for investment and net worth tracking. // Full review|
|Digit (FREE) -- A super easy (and automated) way to save. Every day Digit analyzes your income and expenses and will push money aside for you any time it sees extra sitting there. I've saved over $4,000 myself using them so far! // Full review|
|Acorns -- Having trouble finding money to invest? Check out Acorns – they round up all your transactions to the nearest $1.00 and drops the difference into an investment portfolio for you. Easy way to start investing! // Full review|