On our evening walk yesterday, I was fortunate enough to come across not one, but TWO
shiny grimey ol’ pennies laying on the ground just waiting to be picked up. As if someone had strategically placed them there – perfectly aligned and spaced out from each other and everything – in order to make a 33 y/o guy all giddy inside when he walked by. (NOTE: it worked!)
Now the first one was totally “legit,” according to my wife as it was on the far side of the sidewalk, but the other one apparently labeled me a thief. Because it may or may not have been in someone’s gravel driveway as we were passing by ;)
We bickered back and forth about it as all good spouses do – me saying it’s in a “gray area” since it was on the verge of being on the sidewalk and they obviously didn’t *want* it anyways or else they’d have picked it up already, haha… And her saying it’s private property so “the end” – but of course in the end I lost. (Like what also happens when good couples argue – the male loses ;)). So I went on my merry way happily listening to my two new friends cling and clang in my pockets as she threw me a bone and kindly allowed me to keep them.
As payback for her kindness and generosity, today’s post is therefore dedicated to my wife :) Which I will promptly print out and lay on her pillow for the next time we have a similar debate.
Here are 7 *solid* places which would cause you to be a Grade A d-head should you take from:
- Tip jars. (Not to be confused by the “leave a penny, take a penny” cups where appropriate)
- Coin fountains.
- Your kid’s piggy bank. (Unless it’s to pay for a window they just broke)
- From the floor of your artsy neighbor.
- Inside someone’s house. (Different from *outside*, mind you ;))
- From your friends’ penny loafers. (You like how I put ‘friends’ there as if you had multiple acquaintances who still wore penny loafers? :) Or who even knew what those are anymore?)
- And from the bank. Even if it’s on the floor. (Not the case in other establishments fyi)
Outside of that, it’s free pickings in my book ;) Would you agree? Have you ever found yourself in a “penny gray area” before? I’m reminded of our post on how far you’d go to pick up a coin after last year’s bachelor party experience I blogged about… Which wasn’t nearly as sexy as you’re probably thinking it was right about now ;) You’ll see what I mean if you click.
One of these days I’m gonna scatter a bunch of them all over the roads and then watch everyone’s eyes light up when they come across ‘em. I’ll drop like $1,000 worth and then go hide in the bushes and film it! Haha… “I’m rich, bitch!”
[Photo of Trevi Fountain by Dark Rome Tours & Walks]