I published my very first blog post. It was an “interview” I did, on… myself.
And now here we are 6 years later! ;) A hobby turned business, boyfriend turned husband, and, best of all, husband turned daddy. It’s been a wild ride so far and I have you guys to thank for it. SO THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! It’s hard to run a blog professionally without any readers! ;)
This also means that I’m now officially 60 years old in “blog years” too, which is kinda neat. So I can appropriately call the newbie bloggers out there “whippersnappers,” and tell them about how rough we had it “back in my day” online… Where we had to walk uphill in the snow, both ways, and barefoot, just to get to The Internet. You young folks have it so easy these days with your Facebooks and your Instagrams and your Twitters, pshh….
And, just like a 60 year old, my body’s starting to feel it too. My eyesight’s going to the dogs, my back hurts from being hunched over the screen all day long, and I’m finally able to count down those short blessed days to retirement! Huzzah! (Okay, well none of that stuff’s true fortunately, but I am feeling just as ornery as one would expect at my age ;))
A lot of fun times so far, and a lot of fun times to come…
Here are some of the numbers over the years:
- Total posts: 2,048
- Total comments: 48,647 (minus the first 2 years which were unfort. deleted)
- Total page views: 6,265,237
- Total times featured in the media: more than one :)
- Total times I’ve used the word “sexy”: 377,041*
- Total times my wife has used the word “sexy” in relation to budgeting: 0
- Total times I’ve had to explain what I do for a living: 76
- (Total people who are still confused: 76)
- And the total times I’ve believed my name really was J. Money: 38**
And here are some things you may not know:
- I originally wanted this blog to be SavingIsSexy.com, but it was taken by Sandals Resort (???)
- The “Sexy” came from Justin Timberlake’s song, “I’m Bringing Sexy Back”, which also inspired our t-shirts two years ago: “I’m Bringing Budgets Back!“
- I refused to capitalize or spell-check for 6 months
- I didn’t have a budget when I first started this site, so of course I had to make one ;)
- I used to go as “J. Savings” until my wife repeatedly made fun of me (and, rightfully so)
- I’m currently ranked #2 for “J. Money” worldwide on Google – finally besting the (original) rapper
- It was because of MyMoneyBlog.com that I started sharing my net worth (I’m now addicted!)
- And, as nerdy as it sounds, all of my current friends came from online
Here are the past birthdays we’ve since celebrated too, if you’re feeling nostalgic (anyone still here from the beginning?). Don’t read these until you’ve finished this article though – apparently I like to re-use old jokes ;) Another problem with getting older – I can’t remember anything I’ve said!
- Budgets Are Sexy turns 5
- Budgets Are Sexy turns 4
- Budgets Are Sexy turns 3
- Budgets Are Sexy turns 2
- Budgets Are Sexy turns 1
Lastly, I’d like to leave you with the best compliment I have ever received to this day. Which, I’m pretty sure was *not* meant to be one, making it even better ;) I laughed so hard at it that I just just had to make it my blog’s tagline going forward. Sorry Benjamin Franklin!
“He says really nice things but looks like a weirdo… He’s the Miley Cyrus of Finance.”
I LOVE YOU whoever you were! You’ve officially made this 60 year old feel young again :) Not to mention feel like a branding genius… Now, if someone could go fetch me my Ensure?
PS: I really did make it my new tagline – scroll up to the top and see!
* Not true, but it could be?
** This is definitely true
[Birthday cake by katalicia1]