Good morning ladies and gents. It’s your captain speaking, Mr. Money. Today we have a smorgasbord of links and info for ya, so please grab your coffees, get comfy, and enjoy the awesomeness that’s about to follow… Questions, comments, concerns – you can find me in the back smoking a pipe.
Best place my money went to this week: $140 for a handful of old coins from the 1800s. Which only add up to 31 cents ;) But if you happen to like odd denominations (I picked up a 1/2 dime, not to be confused with a nickel!, and two 3 cent pieces) you’ll like what you see when you click that link back there. And also this one here: my 3 new “error” coins. And then, if you’re a fan of 1/2 pennies and other interesting oldies, you can see more of my sexy coins here. The best part? The money spent was from my hustling stash of selling things over the year – which meant it was all pretty much free!
Worst place my money went to this week: Daycare. Not because I don’t like the service it provides (I wouldn’t be able to blog this to you right now without them!), but just that it hurts every 2 week we cut them a check for $450, ugh… If you saw my grand finale of baby costs this week, you’ll see that we’ve spent a whopping $10,588.75 so far. Not fun. (On the flip side, we should get some sort of $$ back once our taxes are filed – just have no idea how exactly it all works (my wife had to tell me to track it and send to our accountant – I had idea??)
Speaking of checks… Our monthly rent we pay for this place in VA stopped taking credit cards!! Where we were reaping cash back rewards every month from – I’m gonna miss it so much!! I’m sure they canceled it due to fees they had to pay/etc, but still – what a nice perk, right?
One last tidbit about our money… My personal credit card I haven’t used in over 6 months now has a negative balance on it! USAA had stopped sending me statements since there was no action going on all year, and only recently did I notice I had one waiting to be opened in my account (I hide this c/c from my main screen since it never gets used anymore). Apparently the cash back I earned last year somehow triggered a $0.42 credit, which then put it into the negatives :) Free money is free money so I won’t complain, but funny!
Things I’m flirting with lately:
- Scaling back to blogging 3x a week (M, W, F) instead of every day (M,T,W,Th,F). I’ve never missed a day in over 6 years straight of blogging, but I’m finding my time dwindling and dwindling as the months tick on. And I’m starting to get scared I won’t be able to pay attention to Baby #2 when he arrives in a short two months :( More than likely I won’t pull the trigger on this cuz, in all honesty, I’m afraid of what would happen!, but wanted to float this out there to y’all and see what you thought. I doubt most of you would even notice, haha… Us bloggers like to think we’re the center of the world, but facts are we are far from it ;)
- Freelance writing. This kinda goes exactly opposite of the above I just mentioned, but sadly I could probably make a lot more money freelancing for other sites/organizations on a per post basis than on this site. If I were fortunate enough to score high-paying gigs, of course, but I would only accept those and nix others (for example, I might have one that pays upwards of $1,000 for just 1 post (!!!), whereas some other places have offered me $50 for each…). I don’t know if I have the skills, or even right, for that matter, to demand such high prices, but it’s something I’m at least flirting with nonetheless… I know some writers who make $1,500-$2,000 an article! Though they’re more considered journalists than bloggers, but still… people are making some bank! :)
- Taking a job at a bank. Yet another thing that goes against #1 and #2 up there since time is my main area of problems right now, haha, but this is my brain and I can think what I want to ;) And the idea of handling money all day long and not being creative sounds pretty damn good to me these days… You go in, do your work, find some cool coins/currency possibly in the process, make a little cash, and then head back home to the online world (I’d only want to do part-time)… Being a teller/banker has been on my Top 10 Jobs to Do list for years, and I swear one of these days I’m gonna try and pull it off :)
Things I took action on from last Flirty Friday:
- I launched my coin blog! You already know that cuz I just linked to it a billion times above, but you can read about why I did it, and how it’s helping me become a better entrepreneur, here (scroll to “the sexy”). It’s been a refreshing break from “work” so far, and I’m really enjoying it :) PS: We’re giving away a silver Great White Shark coin this week – make sure to enter if you like free money!
- I’m keeping my beard & ‘stache. I was debating last time on whether to shave it completely, or just keep the ‘stache and get rid of the beard, but I REALLY want to see how long I can get it and be cool like this guy. So far my wife hasn’t divorced me.
Cool things other bloggers are doing:
- Jeremy from Modest Money launched his automated List of Top Finance Blogs, to rival that of Wise Bread’s. If you click over you’ll see why I happen to prefer it :) And, on a REALLY random side note, I just learned Jeremy is engaged to another PF blogger out there!! GirlMeetsDebt.com! I’m apparently behind the times with this, but still – pretty cool stuff!
- Jim Wang of Bargaineering fame (which sold for $3+ Million) recently launched his Microblogging podcast which is already ranking pretty high on iTunes. I was featured in the second episode of his (“How J Money, an Anonymous Mohawk, Became a Recognizable Money Blogger“) which followed his first on J.D. Roth of Get Rich Slowly. Check it out if you like blogging and/or entrepreneurship!
- Derek Olsen and his beautiful (expecting) wife Carrie also launched a fun podcast, with this one centering around Money & Marriage. I guess they’re all the rage these days!
- And lastly, here’s a fun interview I did with CouponPal.com on habits and building online projects… Or do I not count as a “cool blogger” for this section? ;)
The 3 winners of the “F My Job” t-shirt giveaway:
- Will S.
- John @ Frugal Rules
Some posts that tickled my brain cells this week:
- The Diderot Effect @ Boomer and Echo
- Are We Overworked? @ Living Rich Cheaply
- DIY Crafts: Penny Marquee @ Shoestring Mag
- Dad’s Savings Advice to His Child @ Rich Habits
- Why My 77% Savings Rate Means Nothing @ Afford Anything
- Committing Financial Suicide by a Thousand Tiny Cuts @ Escaping Dodge
- Everything You Need to Know About Investing on One Page @ The Micawber Principle
- Why Wu-Tang Will Release Just One Copy Of Its Secret Album @ Forbes <—– WOW.
One last (fun) thing:
Check out this perfect way to hide some cash!! As long as you don’t lose it!
That one seems to be hand made, and probably the way to go if you don’t mind scraping out/cleaning the insides, but I did see a similar one on Amazon too you can buy for like $12. If you like this sorta stuff, you’ll probably like my list of Top 10 Secret Safes I wrote about years ago too.
Happy (sneaky) weekend!
PS: That “wake up and do nothing” sticky note up top? It was inspired by a killer article over at RetireBeforeDad.com: Strive to Wake Up and Do Nothing. It’s all about having your finances in place and doing the work for you every day so you don’t ever have to really *do* anything. But also more about career and future passive income too. The idea that you can do whatever the hell you want every day when you wake up ‘cuz money’s already accounted for! (Don’t judge my dusty keyboard)