Today’s a quick tip to remind you that no one can ever take away your accomplishments. Once you’ve done something brilliant – whether in life or career, or even money – it’s yours. Forever.
- That time you got promoted? You earned it.
- That time you flew to Africa? Banked memories.
- Those $10Gs of debt you just paid off? Party time!
Once you’ve accomplished something great, or even mediocre ;), it’s yours to keep forever – no matter what happens down the line. And it’s important to keep in mind every now and then because we deal with a lot of $hit in our lives, and the days only seem to be going by faster and faster.
3 years ago my friend Nate and I launched a project called Love Drop. We had no idea what we were doing, and every month we were afraid of failing our mission like clockwork. 12 months later we wrapped it up having helped 12 families across the country and raising almost $100,000 for them.
It was amazing. And no one can ever take it away from us no matter what idiotic stuff we do in the future. Even as it’s been shut down for over 2 years now, it continues to pay dividends in both our professional and our personal lives. That could be the last successful project we do together but we DID IT and now it’s ours.
I think a lot about this when it comes to our finances as well. Every milestone we hit in our net worth, for example, is a check mark that becomes accomplished forever. Even if we lose it all and go bankrupt one day, those milestones will be etched in our own personal timelines as cold hard facts that no one can ever change.
That’s powerful stuff. And you can find these achievements in all areas of your life:
- The time(s) you got that job offer
- That time you met your significant other
- That time you paid off your first credit card
- That time you did something you were really scared of
- That time you had all them babies
- That time you started a company or hustle
- That time you budgeted AND had money left over!
- That time you got away with something naughty (you know who you are)
- That time you graduated elementary, middle, high, undergrad, grad, super duper fancy pants grad-grad school
- That time you listened to J$ and maxed out your retirement accounts :)
- And that time you made your parents incredibly proud
Over the weekend, do yourself a favor and marinate on your own set of accomplishments. Write as many as you can think of down somewhere to always serve as indisputable facts in your very own history books. Then keep them somewhere close to become physical triggers throughout the days.
These are all reminders of amazing stuff you’ve achieved, and no matter what happens down the road they can never be taken away. You’ll only be adding more as time goes on too.
Life is good, y’all. These memories prove it!
UPDATE: Just spent the last hour at this coffee shop I’m at talking about Love Drop to a startup community I randomly stumbled across. One of them helps charities raise money and tell their stories through bloggers :) If this isn’t proof of today’s moral, I don’t know what is.
[Photo cred: Antara]