You probably know this already, but the Powerball jackpot is now the largest it’s ever been IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD:
$700,000,000 $900,000,000+!!! O-M-G!
(Update: went up $200,000 in two days!)
And of course people are going bonkers. And I’m not going to lie – as someone who used to enjoy this sick form of entertainment every week, I am too :) It’s not that I think I’ll ever actually win, but it’s a helluva fun thing to think about and someone, somewhere, WILL and they surely won’t be thinking it’s “a tax on the stupid.” (Odds BTW are 1 in 292,200,000 – no prob.)
People on Twitter are having some fun with it too:
But in a weird way, I also very much do NOT want to win this money. Yes I’d love all the freedom it would buy and I’d hook up all my friends and family (and you guys!) like crazy, but not only would it do the opposite of being able to stay under the radar (“stealth wealth” as Financial Samurai puts it), but it would also feel a bit like cheating. Because I’m pretty sure it feels a lot more successful accomplishing great wealth on your own as a hustler than it does out of pure luck. Not that I wouldn’t accept the money if the numbers come up matching, just that it wouldn’t be *as* exciting as, say, someone who sucks with money and looking for the quick win.
Now this is the part in the post where I’d typically go over all the awesome things I’d do with the gobs of money if I won, but seeing how we just did this a few years ago when the jackpot was at a staggering $500-something mil (see: 10 Things I’m Doing When I Win This $500 Million… ) I thought I’d do the opposite and tell you what I *wouldn’t* do if I won :) Because in some cases – and this one in particular – what you won’t do is actually more important than what you would!
So here’s 10 things I won’t be doing if I win these millions of dollars:
- Tell people I won! (Though it will be tricky in updating my net worth here, hmm…)
- Spend a penny before talking to an estate planner, accountant, lawyer, and anyone else to make sure I don’t do something stupid. (I’m not gonna even pretend I’d know what I’m doing!)
- Spend a penny before thinking/dreaming up all the awesome things I could do for a solid year! (Or at least a solid month ;) There’s power in waiting!)
- Blow it on fancy cars (1 fancy car will suffice)
- Blow it on fancy mansions (maybe a fancy tiny home? Or commune of tiny homes?)
- Hoard it all (I’d invest like crazy and make sure my family is financially secure forever, but the fun part would be doing some good in the world…)
- Change my lifestyle (only tweaks)
- Forget my values (no tweaks!)
- Forget my morals (I’m sure you’d get tempted like a mother in this department!)
- And lastly, stop working… Or, really, “playing” since that’s really what I do here on this blog and other projects – hah.
In a way, I’ve already won the lottery :) And you have too if you’re sitting in a warm comfy home/office with clothes on your back, a full tummy, and a sexy financial plan in your pockets. Regardless of the stage of the journey you’re in.
So. What does all this matter in the end? Well, everything and nothing. Nothing if you just go about your day and forget all about it (which I wouldn’t advise, how boring is that? ;)), but everything if you stop and appreciate how fortunate you truly are with or without millions of extra dollars to your name. We’d all love to get our hands on as much money as we can, but remember we can accomplish our goals anyways if we continue to hustle for it and harness the incredible community around us. It’s just more of a matter of *when* and not *if*!
All that mushy stuff out of the way now, haha, let’s talk about what you would do if you won! Or if you’d like to follow suit, what you wouldn’t do? Let us know in the comments below!
Nothing will happen if you don’t even pick up a ticket, but it’s always fun to dream regardless :) And if you happen to win this weekend, I want some free beer please!!!
PS: If you’re wondering about that nifty picture I chose to include up top, I found it on Flickr and is aptly titled “The Lottery Office.” I have no idea what it means, but I’m digging those skeletons in it :) And I think they need to go after Grabby McGrabberton next – just look where his hands are!