You may have caught this, but MSN Money recently came out with an article on 9 pricey sports of the wealthy. With some of them costing well into the hundreds of thousands, and others even into the mega-millions. Something I’m sure most of you can relate to ;)
But not to be outdone, I’ve decided to one up them and share my own set of sports that could easily be just as fun, and which come without all those zeros at the end of those price tags… Who needs to get fancy, anyways?
My 9 substitute sports for all us un-wealthy:
- Their list: Dressage. My list: Yoga! What is dressage you ask? It “entails a horse and rider performing a series of highly choreographed movements.” Much like yoga, only $100,000 cheaper. And trust me, you’ll look sexier while dong it ;)
- Their list: Yachting. My list: Kayaking! Who needs vessels when you can race plastic containers around the lake! No use for pink tied sweaters around your neck either!
- Their list: Golf. My list: Putt Putt. I’m pretty sure you don’t need to be rich to play golf, but the more challenging way to go anyways is with a rousing game of putt putt – complete with Gorillas and all. The one place you can talk all about your blue balls without getting the eye roll! ;)
- Their list: Croquet. My list: Bocce. A quick trip to Target and some yard scouting, and you’ll be all set to play within the hour. And everyone will think you’re playing croquet anyways ‘cuz not that many people know the difference!
- Their list: Figure skating. My list: Rollerblading! Who cares that it’s not the 90’s anymore, head out to your local swap meet and pick yourself up a sweet set of inline skates! Then do all the twirls and jumps you want so long as your fanny pack remains zipped. (ZING!)
- Their list: Polo. My list: (Mechanical) Bull Riding! No need to fly to England, or be a man for that matter, just hit up your favorite country bar and let the good times roll! No need to do any practicing either – the crowds will love you the more uncoordinated you are! ;)
- Their list: Pheasant hunting. My list: Fishing. You can literally do it with a stick and some string. Save all those dollars on guns and gear, and go catch yourself some fish which you’d actually EAT too! (Or if you prefer, just play Duck Hunt. But find a system with a WORKING gun!)
- Their list: Snowboarding. My list: Skateboarding. Another sport not belonging to the wealthy, but if you can’t afford some snowboarding then yes – I say pick up the ol’ skateboard instead. No season passes to save up for, and you can create your own black diamonds walking up some hills!
- Their list: Horse racing. My list: Running. The only sport here that doesn’t have to cost a dime. And if you want to kick it up a notch or two, try it out at midnight in some of the more unsavory parts of your town! No easier way to beat your records than when being chased!
See? Plenty of cheaper options over those hoity-toity games the uber wealthy play… You could probably even do all 9 of them *every single week* and STILL come out on top by the end of the year. How awesome is that?
If you can think of any others, I’d love to hear them. I took out dodgeball and bowling from the list ‘cuz they were just way too fancy to be included here… Didn’t want to throw a bone to the elite! ;)
PS: Here’s that MSN link again if you want to compare the dirty details: http://money.msn.com/investing/9-pricey-sports-of-the-wealthy
[Photo by Ben Sutherland]