I came across this “financial cheating” poll this morning and naturally had to make it our “5 For Friday” today ;) Though we’re only gonna do 6 of the 10 questions posed cuz the others are kinda boring and/or too long to put in here. I tip my hats to Today.com and SELF Magazine for putting it all together and looking forward to the results!
But first, let’s find out if YOU’ve been a truthful little lover over there or not ;) Now’s your time to fess up if you’ve been naughty! Just pray your other half isn’t reading right now like mine is, haha… (Hi honey!). I’ll start us off today, here we go…
- At what point in a relationship do you disclose money issues, such as major credit card debt or an unsustainable mortgage? I say when it starts getting serious. Neither of us really had any financial skeletons in our closets – we both started out roughly on the same financial “level” – but we def. divulged a lot more once we started dating for a while. And by the time we moved in with each other (roughly a year later), we made sure everything was out on the table before we started signing leases and putting together house budgets/etc. I think at that point you HAVE to know the entire story of a person’s financial situation – esp if marriage is the next step.
- If you’re married or living with your significant other, how do you and your partner manage your money? The Mrs. and I share a major joint checking and savings account, and then we both have our own checking & savings accounts on the side too. This allows all the big stuff to be taken care of right away (the mortgages, bills, savings for trips, babies, etc), and then the rest in our “own” accounts can be spent as freely as we wish with no questions asked.
- How much money do you feel it’s OK to spend on a joint credit card or from a joint account without consulting your partner? We have a rule in the house that anything over $100 has to be brought up with the other person – though I tend to forget about that sometimes and always get *caught* in the act, haha… but only because I KNOW she’s gonna say it’s all okay anyways! ;) Luckily neither of us ever go on splurging binges much though. And if we do, we have free reign to raid our personal accounts any time, and spend whatever we want from them as there’s no questions asked with those bad boys. It works out nicely…
- Have you ever lied, or hidden, any financial information from your other half? Even little white lies? Hah! Only when I was trying to sneak her engagement ring purchase by her! Those idiots at the store kept MAILING US STUFF when I specifically told them not to and to change our address (I had given my parents’ address, but because of the way their billing was set up they had the wrong address in there for a little while in the beginning. It was pretty nerve-wracking). But other than that, I wouldn’t dare. I don’t keep secrets that well anyways ;)
- Has your partner ever lied to YOU about money? Not that I know of, haha…
- Do you think financial infidelity leads to sexual infidelity? Hmmm… I wouldn’t normally think so, but if you’re asking us here in the poll I’m thinking you might know something we don’t ;) I wouldn’t cheat on someone if I found out they were hiding money secrets from me, if that’s what you’re asking. Though I suppose it wouldn’t help build up trust very much between the two of us if I caught them doing something bad w/ our money. Or if another person ever came into question – trust is a pretty important piece to a relationship.
As you can see, I’m not much of a financial cheater (sorry if I’m too boring! Haha..).
Your turn! Up for answering those same questions up there? If you don’t wanna divulge your name or blog or anything like that, just go anonymously or under a fake name so you can wipe away all of your financial sins ;) We won’t tell anyone, I promise! (Though you should probably come up with a good game plan fast before the other person finds out. Feel free to ask your own questions about that too, if you have any – maybe someone here has gone through the same and can help share some pointers?) Happy weekend everybody!
(Photo by D.C.Atty)