Every now and then I type “How to stay happy?” into Google looking for some good tips.
I’m naturally a pretty cheerful guy, but like anyone I can have my moments and often need help reminding myself to appreciate things more. You know, like my kids, wife, that thing we call breath ;)
I usually find the same suggestions over and over again so not sure why I continue to search, haha, but this time I caught something wild and couldn’t wait to get your thoughts on it! It comes from an article on Inc. on 10 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Incredibly Happy and I think you’ll find it fascinating:
A study published in the Journal of Socio-Economics states that your relationships are worth more than $100,000… Actual changes in income, on the other hand, buy very little happiness.
BOOM! So you CAN actually put a price on friendship! ;)
It goes on to say:
So we could increase our annual income by hundreds of thousands of dollars and still not be as happy as we would if we increased the strength of our social relationships.
We’ve all heard that the magical “happiness” salary is around $75,000 (more is nice, but only incrementally so, whereas less makes a much bigger difference), but never have I seen any price tags on relationships before.
And then of course I had to start going down my own list of loved ones to see how accurate this is ;)
- WIFE: Yup, worth more than $100,000
- Kid #1: DEFINITELY $100k+
- Kid #2: Hummm… just kidding, haha… another yes here.
- Best friend: Of course!
- Other close friends – like from college/growing up: Yes, although I’ll need a discount for some as they are horrible at returning my calls…
- All other friends/acquaintances/random people you talk/work with every now and then: Nah… I’d miss some over others, but wouldn’t miss them $100k-much.
- Facebook friends – lololololololol…
Only half serious about this, of course, but it def. gets you to stop and think for a bit… Especially when we’re so caught up in our own lives that we forget just how important some of these relationships truly are! Or, for that matter, how *toxic* some of them are? I wonder what the going rate is to get RID of a relationship? Haha…
In my search to find out more about this survey, I also came across the following dizzying stats:
- Your health is worth $463,170
- Better social life: $131,232
- Divorce: -$34,000
- Unemployment: -$114,248
- Separation: -$255,000 (7x an actual divorce??!)
- Death of a spouse: -$308,780
- Death of your blog: –$1,000,000,000!! (Who put that there?)
And then if you REALLY want to be mind-boggled, here’s what your LIFE is worth according to various government agencies!
- Transportation Department: $9.4 million
- Environmental Protection Agency: $9.1 million
- Food and Drug Administration: $7.9 million
- With each year of “quality life” coming out between $50,000-$129,000
I think we all need to go back and update our net worth ;)
So needless to say I quickly forgot about my funk and added “mental stimulation” to my list of happiness factors that work for me… It wasn’t on the 10 scientifically proven routes that I saw anyways, but it definitely did the trick. I’m an easy win whenever you relate things to money ;)
You can check out the full list here.
My second favorite was #5 on how helping other people improves your mood – specifically 2 hours a week. Doesn’t seem that hard out of the 168 we have, eh?
That picture up top used to be on the wall of my old house. My sister was trying to sell it at a yard sale once, but after my nephew got a hold of it and stated that he was worth exactly “g$” I thought it was too cute to let it go, haha… Been trying to figure out how much g$ is ever since!