We talk a lot about SAVING our money, and paying off debt or wiping away mortgages, etc, but one thing we *don’t* discuss much is SPENDING our money on things we enjoy :) And I think it’s something to be really conscious about because it’s perfectly OKAY to prioritize our money and use it toward things we actually care about. A lot of things in our lives DO cost money, and there’s nothing wrong with spending it on the things that are important to us – whatever it may be!
So today, let’s talk about some of these things, and see what your fellow money lovers enjoy out of this life too :) There are no right or wrong answers here, so just be open and honest with yourselves. It could be anything at all that’s special to you – a toy, a vacation, makeup, a car, whatever. If you’re spending money on it, and you enjoy every last penny invested, we wanna know!
Here are this week’s 5 for Friday questions:
- What’s something that’s ALWAYS worth spending your money on?
- How much does it usually cost you?
- What’s the MOST you’ve ever spent on it? (What’s the LEAST?)
- Are there any alternatives to getting it cheaper?
- Do people think it’s a huge waste of money? (Do you care?)
- *BONUS* How long could you go WITHOUT this thing?
I’ll go first, because it’s my game and I get to set the rules ;) And also, because I like to talk a lot!
- My one thing: Experiences! It’s probably not a surprise to many of you (including the commenter last week who said I take “more trips than the traveling circus!” haha…), but I can spend a looot of money traveling the world, or doing new things, and have absolutely no problem with it at all ;) As long as I’m financially sound, of course. There’s something about getting “cultured” that’s just priceless to me, and I truly believe it adds value over time both in happiness, and in business. It really does expand your perspective of the world.
- How much it costs: Haha, this is the fun part ;) I’d say it depends on a lot of factors that’s going on around me (job stuff, family stuff, etc) but if I had to guess I’d say I easily spend at least $5,000-$7,000 a year if not more. Between road trips, international travel, bed and breakfasts, flying, boating, ferry’ing (haha..), hotels, out of state weddings, visiting the homes of our founding fathers (our newest goal! Trying to hit all major homes of important American influencers :)), etc. And this only includes my personal out of pocket expenses too. I’ve been fortunate enough to travel the country this year alone via Love Drop and all the conferences I’ve been invited to participate in. If you take on *those* expenses you’re looking at another $10k-$15k ON TOP of it. Which is why it’s important to find a way to turn your hobbies into something that can make money or give you perks!
- Most I’ve ever spent: Hmm… I guess it would have to be our 10-day Eurotrip the Mrs and I took a couple of years ago w/ a dozen or so friends. 10 Days of travel/food/hotel/etc cost us about $4,500 total. DEF the most we’ve ever spent before, and that beats out our Honeymoon! Which was around $4k if I recall correctly… I swear we usually don’t take big trips like that though :) Most of them are weekend getaways here and there.
The Least amount spent: Probably about $50 – for gas to get somewhere for the weekend and crash at a friend’s or family’s place. We’ve worked out a lot of GREAT trips that barely cost a thing when stars align :)
- Cheaper alternatives: Yup! Staycations, visiting friends and family instead of longer, more expensive trips, and really just researching the crap out of travel sites like Expedia and the rest. It’s amazing how far you can go on a few bucks when it comes to traveling and adventures!
- Waste of money? I’m sure some people do. Though usually traveling IS one of those things people can relate to easily. They probably frown more on the *amount* of money being spent, than the actual use of it. Like spending $5k on a cruise when you’re up to your eyeballs in debt. But either way, I could care less what they think about how I spend my money – it’s not going to change it. Just like the post last week with those $250k clubhouses! If that’s important to them, great! But no way in hell I’m using my money that way ;) We all have our interests.
- *BONUS*: Not very long! I go stir crazy, especially now that I work out of my home, so if you want me to be chipper and all smiley like I usually am, you better allow me to go on an adventure every few weeks or I’ll get crazy cranky up in here! That may make me spoiled, but as long as I can keep it up you better believe I will! :)
Okay, now that I wrote a book here, it’s YOUR turn! What do YOU enjoy spending your money on? Tell us loud and proud in the comments!
PS: That video up there? Safe for work, I promise ;) It’s actually pretty funny!
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!