Sometimes I like to stare at my investment accounts and watch my dollars work hard for me. Other times, I’m a glutton for punishment and choose to focus on all the places my money runs off to instead. Today I choose the punishment ;)
And since I’ve never consciously made a list of the all-time largest expenses of my life, I thought – why not now? What else have I got going on?
So sit back, grab your coffee/tea/cocaine, and soak in the largest purchases of my adult life… You can make fun of me afterwards, but not until you divulge yours too (might not be so hilarious then!).
Here’s the code to decipher my results:
- Red = Bad decision
- Green = Great decision!
- Orange = J$ in the dog house…
The Largest Purchases of my Adult Life:
- House @ $360,000 — Now our rental property by default.
- Babies (x2) @ $28,185.49+++ — Those +’s mean it’s growing, FAST. Both the kids, and the costs!
- Toyota Highlander @ $23,000 — Since sold during the Gas Crisis of ’08, as well as J’s Crisis of Having Car Payments circa the same time period ;) Despite my wife saying it’s a bad idea because “one day we’ll have kids and it’ll come in handy.” Oops.
- Financial website @ $15,000 — Also since sold, in order to re-focus and store up nuts last year.
- Wifey’s Engagement Ring @ $7,800 — I said it best back in 2009: “Some say it should [cost] 6 paychecks worth (3 months), while others say it should be 6 months worth. Wanna know what I think? MALARKEY. I don’t care what anybody says, you go out there and get a ring that you can afford without killing yourself. If the girl really truly loves you, she’ll admire and cherish it for the rest of your lives together.” #TRUTH
So three great decisions, one bad one, and one that the jury’s still out on… Not too bad? Except that the 1 bad one is THE BIGGEST ONE OF OUR LIVES! Ouch. But I’ve said my peace dozens and dozens of times by now, so we won’t dwell on that one again anytime soon… After all, it did lead to the creation of this site you’re currently reading right now!
To think those 5 items alone almost total up to half a million dollars though, crazy. I bet all the smaller, monthly, payments of our lives in general total much higher than that depending on how old you are, eh? Pretty freaky stuff… And the same if you consider all the INCOME you’ve received throughout your lifetime too – especially compared to your net worth! Haha… Reminds me of a quote I recently read by one Jackie Mason:
“I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something.”
Wise words, coming from someone who once won an Emmy as a guest role on The Simpsons (he plays the voice of Rabbi Hyman Krustofski. And yes, I had to look up who Jackie Mason was ;)). It costs money to live, no doubt about it.
How about you? What are your most expensive purchases of your entire lives? Do you beat my $434,000? It’s always good to step back and do a little “financial reflection,” if you will… Helps you to avoid being a bonehead down the road.
[Sacrilege photo by Mike Poresky]
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!