So after many (MANY!!) days obsessing about this and pouring over your thoughtful notes and advice and nudges (you sure didn’t hold back! Haha…) we finally made a decision on what we wanted to do with that Benz offer burning a hole in our brains…
And that decision is…. drum roll please….
NOT TO BUY IT!! EEK!
And instead, keep going forward with the minivan route as we originally planned.
Something in a million years the old me would have never guessed I’d be typing out, haha, but unfortunately for him there’s a new family guy in charge, and Mr. New Family Guy just doesn’t think it would accomplish the mission… Despite how fun it was to dream about it for a while.
When we sat down to really hammer out what *exactly* we wanted in a new car, the answers just didn’t match up to what the Benz offered.
- Extra space for storage and people (it was roomy, but not minivan roomy)
- A car for the more *longer* term (would the Benz last two years or twenty years?)
- Easy and cheap to maintain (I’m not a DIY’er in the least and 100% rely on mechanics!)
- And then most important of all, at least for my minimalist side, something I don’t have to *think* about or *worry* about at all and just gets us to where we need to go in relative joy and comfort. And having driven many a cars in my lifetime, I know I can be just as happy in a minivan as I can in a luxury car so long as it gives me peace of mind! Plus – after hearing all the love some of y’all have for your vans, I’m actually kinda excited to give it a shot now! Haha… It’ll be a new adventure, right?!
So as much as I loved the *idea* of a new Benz to the Money family, it looks like it won’t be happening this time around, but I’d be open to it again later when the circumstances are different. Some of y’all almost had me convinced there for a bit!! Haha…
In fact, the most interesting part of the polling here was the drastic difference in opinions when they were shared PUBLICLY vs PRIVATELY!
I have no idea if it’s purely coincidence or not, but those who shared their opinions publicly on the blog or social overwhelmingly voted for us NOT to buy it, whereas those who shared their opinions privately via email overwhelmingly told us to GO FOR IT!
Isn’t that wild?!
And then when I actually tallied up ALL the answers from across the board, it was split almost perfectly down the middle with 61 yays and 64 nays (as well as a good 40-50 “it depends”). Telling me right there it was indeed a hard call to make and I wasn’t totally being a drama queen up in here ;) Haha…
It’s been about three days since we sent over our final decision, and if you can believe it it hasn’t crossed my mind even *once*! A sure sign we made the right decision for sure…
So thank you, THANK YOU, thank you for all your thoughts and advice across *all* sides of the table here! And I can promise you that I read every last one and kept an open mind.
It’s funny to think that just this time last week I was completely torn and didn’t know how it would turn out, and then literally just days later it’s all made clear again :) The power of just letting time do its thing right there! Thank goodness the car was halfway across the country, or we very well could have been writing a different post today! Haha…
Now anyone have a minivan they want to sell for $5,000???
PS: Here were a few of my favorite comments from y’all ;)
- “This is a used car, not a marriage. You can always trade or sell later.”
- “Quick, call MMM right now so he can punch you in the face!”
- “No brainer here, you get a solid car AND the fun. Eat the cannoli!”
- “Once you’ve owned German the rest are vermin.”
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!