First, let’s start with things you *shouldn’t* do when you’re in the mood:
- Bitch out your boss
- Get a tattoo when drunk
- Go grocery shopping when starving
- Text naughty pictures of yourself to your ex
- Text naughty pictures to your boss at the grocery store while drunk and starving!
Now that we’ve covered that (you’re welcome), here’s what to do when you’re in the mood :)
- Pay your bills.
- Go over your budget
- Update your net worth
- Set goals
- Submit a claim
- Look into insurance/estate planning/other boring stuff
- Anything else relating to money, life, love, career
If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the years, it’s that we produce MUCH better work when we’re energized and IN THE MOOD to tackle something than when we’re not. Not only are you more productive during these times, but your results are usually substantially better too.
I should show you the original draft of this post when I was trying to force myself to write it last week. There were certainly no mentions of drinking or naughty pictures in the mix which obviously added the right touches ;) So after I realized the ironicness of it all, I shut down the computer and called it a day. (And then picked it back up last night when caffeinated and ready to roll!)
Now obviously we can’t always control when, or when not, we’ll be in the mood to do something when it needs to get done, but we can certainly be more aware of when we work better, and why. If you know you suck at money/biz/life in the early mornings, do your best to rock them later in the day or at night. And if you suck ass at night, tackle ’em first thing in the morning! As long as you don’t suck during morning, noon, and night you should be just fine ;)
Here’s a list of when I work the best. Might be smart to create your own…
- 5am – 8am – thinking, dreaming, being appreciative
- 8am – 2pm – writing, talking, creating, strategizing, hustling, money stuff
- 2pm – 5pm – anything that doesn’t require my brain! (i.e. the boring stuff: emails, errands, cleaning)
- 5pm – 8pm – relaxing/hanging out/socializing
- 8pm – 12pm – thinking, loving, hustling
- 12pm – 5am – sleeping
Again, it doesn’t always mean I’m able to do all those things during these times, but when I am my output is exponentially better. Sometimes we just don’t give a damn about our savings, career, debt, goals, or God forbid our budget (!!).
During these times stay as far away as possible. Wait until you’re in the mood and energized, and have the heart to tackle them. You’ll not only enjoy it a helluva lot more, but you’ll be less likely to make a mistake too! We’re much more productive when both our minds and bodies are synced up.
PS: Something else that helps? Deadlines. I swear they get you in the mood even faster ;)
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!