I got a good laugh the other day when a friend of mine shot me the following article that was too easy to click (thanks Trinnie!):
If you resisted checking it out right now, a HENRY is someone who’s “High Earning, Not Rich Yet.” I.E. a good problem to have. Unless you’re not rich yet due to spending all that high income you’re earning instead of saving and investing it. Which would then make you a HENRY BIAD – high earning not rich yet because I’m a dummy! ;) (You heard it hear first, folks)
The article dropped two other acronyms many of us are familiar with as well: DINKs and YUPPIES.
- DINKs — “Dual Income No Kids”
- YUPPIES — “Young Upwardly Mobile Professionals” <– I had no idea?
Of course after reading about all those, I had to put on my own gloves and get dirty with Google to dig up some other fun acronyms that may help define us more. And here is what I found…
Other Financial Acronyms:
- DINKY — “Dual Income No Kids Yet”
- DINKER — “Dual Income No Kids Early Retirement”
- DINKWAD — “Double Income No Kids With A Dog”
- DINKYANDE — “Dual Income No Kids Yet And No Dog Either”
- SINK – “Single Income No Kids”
- SIK — “Single Income Kids”
- SILK — “Single Income Lots of Kids”
- DIK (hah!) — “Dual Income Kids”
- DEWK — “Dually Employed With Kids”
- SITCOM — “Single Income Two Children and Oppressive Mortgage”
- MUPPIE — “Middle-aged Upcoming Prosperous Professional”
- KIPPERS — “Kids In Parents’ Pockets Eroding Retirement Savings”
- SINBAD — “Single Income No Boyfriend And Desperate”
- GLAM — “Greying Leisured Affluent Married”
- PODWOG — “Parents of Dinks WithOut Grandchildren”
- WOOF — “Well Off Older Folk”
Who knew! I’m particularly fond of WOOFs, DINKWADs and KIPPERS, haha… that’s pretty creative. But do you know who’s more creative than that? Me.
The above may help explain the factual sides of our finances, but as you know I’m more of an emotional type of money guy and have a penchant for a bit more flair. The marital and kid status is fine, but I want to hear about the passion, dammit!
So I present to you, FINPONYMS — “Financially Passionate Acronyms”
- BOB — “Baller On a Budget!”
- DINGLEDOR — “Dingleberry Debtor”
PIF — “Passive Income Freak”
- FIGMY$HIT— “Finally Got My $hit Together!”
- SEXPLOY — “Sexy & Unemployed”
DIVYER— “Dividend Destroyer”
- CRAFORP — “Crazy For Rewards Points”
- NOBUDNOC — “No Budget No Care”
- MOHO — “Money Hoarder”
- HUN — “Hustler Unleashed”
- SISPIT — “Single & Spending It”
- ISNOB — “Indexer Snob”
- PX3U — “Proud Penny Picker Upper”
- FRUCLASSITY* — “Frugal and Classy”
- FULLTRASH — “Full Timer Rocking a Side Hustle”
- FREEDLER — “Freedom Lover”
- MILLIONAIRING — “Millionaire In Training”
- DIVFROD — “Divorced From Debt!”
- FIRE ANT — “F.I.R.E. Antagonist”
- SFL — “Spreadsheets For Life”
- CAFLOK— “Cash Flow King”
- STARFROTBONWEH — “Started From The Bottom Now We Here”
And then there’s YOLO, FOMO, FONSY and IDYTAM of course too (“I Dare You To Acronym Me!”) – of which I only made up one ;) But see how descriptive these are? Who cares if you’re a PODWOG?
As you can see, only serious stuff going on here today… But at least you’ll have some good fodder for the bars or dinner table tonight. Go around playing WAAY – “What Acronym Are You?” – it’s fun!
Here, I’ll start: which acronym are you? Or do we need to make up some more?? (Please say yes, please say yes…)
*Fruclassity was actually coined by two of my friends, Ruth and Laurie, who just launched a new site around this way of life. If you’d like to learn more about it or join their new kick-ass community, visit them at Fruclassity.com.
***UPDATE*** Here are some other clever ones people have left in the comments ;) Some are good!!
- RECOSU — “Reformed Consumer Sucka”
- DIWAHs — “Dual Income Want A House”
- NERD — “Nice Earnings Ridiculous Discipline”
- WIMP — “Wonderful Income Missing Perseverance”
- SASWO! — “Saving to See the World!”
- GROW — “Getting Rich Over a While”
- AFRO — “Awesomely Frugal Reinforcement Officer”
- DIRD — “Decent Income, Ridiculously Disciplined”
- TWERP – “Tightwad With Early Retirement Plans”
- PITCHER — “Passive income, two children, early retirement”
- MINKY — “Multiple Income No Kids Yet”
- WOBANOWA — “Won’t Buy Anything – Not Worth Advertising To”
- MACFORDIVNPIFF – “Middle aged cash flow originator realizing dividends and passive income for freedom”
- MILF – “Money Intense Loving Family”
And so we don’t leave out the LGBT demographic (written by someone with authority :)):
- GILTD – “Gay, Investing, Living The Dream”
- GABAWD – “Gay, Broke but Well Dressed”
- LAB – “Lesbian and Broke”
- FILL – “Financially Independent Lipstick Lesbian”
PS: This also reminds me of our “RICH BITCH” book giveaway. A term that’s not really an acronym, but according to it’s author, Nicole Lapin, means “A woman who empowers herself by taking control of her finances in order to get what she wants in life.” Which I absolutely love. Even though I lost approx. 30+ readers because of all the cursing going on – hah! Anyways, big congrats to our two winners of signed copies of this new book: Heather (commenter #23) and Eliza Pelham Randall. Enjoy ladies!
[Dollar bills cred: frankieleon // FOMO by quickmeme.com]
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!