It’s been a looooong loooong time since I’ve played the lottery lately (like, over 2 weeks – haha…), and I want you to help me change that ;) But first, check out this article that was passed on to me by our friend Babs Wagner on this couple who not only WON $11 Million dollars (!!!) but then GAVE IT ALL AWAY!! According MSNBC, here’s why:
“What you’ve never had, you never miss. We have an old house, but we’re comfortable and we’re happy in it… it made us feel good,and there’s so much good being done with that money.”
I love that! I couldn’t do it myself, but I’m extremely impressed they could ;) They’re perfectly content with everything they have, so why not pay it forward and hook up your community like that? (They gave to churches, animal charities, hospitals and other groups) You def. avoid the crazies and the drama that usually consumes lottery winners, that’s for sure. That last thing you want is for money to come between you and your family at that stage of life too (they’re in their 70s), so I think it’s brilliant. Not sure if they came up with this plan *before* winning or after, but either way you don’t hear about people giving away millions all too often ;) Very fascinating stuff.
And since I’m so entertained by the lotto and everything that comes with it, I thought we’d have a little fun w/ MY money today and do a half “5 for Friday” and a half “J. Money experiment.” What do ya say? Here are your questions:
- Do you ever play the lottery?
- Scratchers or Numbers?
- How much do you spend a month on them, would you say?
- What’s the most you’ve ever won?
- If you don’t play, are you against them, or are they just not “your thing?”
- ***BONUS*** Give me 6 lucky numbers right now and I’ll go out and buy a Mega Millions ticket with ’em! And then split the winnings 50/50 with whoever sent it in ;) I’ll even give half of my portion back to the community just like our old friends above did (awwwwww). No limit on the number of tickets I’ll go out and buy either, just make sure you send in valid numbers: 1-56 range for the first five, and then 1-46 for the last one. Woohoo!
I’m feeling lucky right now so be sure to send them my way!! I’ll go out and buy them all this weekend. Will give me something fun to look forward too :) Here are my answers to the above:
- YES! Used to play a few times a week, but now pretty much only when the Mrs. sends me to the grocery store ;) Which, lately, has been every few weeks. She does most of the shopping, while I do
mostall of the budgeting.
- Scratch off tickets 80% of the time (I like instant gratification), but usually I’ll pick up a Mega Millions here and there too since it’s the only kind of tickets my wife think are worth it. She doesn’t get out of bed for under $100 Mil ;)
- Old me would drop $10/mo. New me (out of being busy all the time, not because I don’t like playing) is at about $5/mo. Maybe $3.
- Most I’ve ever won is around $40 I think. 10 or so years ago and have only come close twice — winning $25 once, and $20 a few other times. My goal is to win $100+ one day.
- I’m obviously not against it, but I can see why people would (gambling for the most part is bad – especially for those who are easily addicted to things). For me it’s pure entertainment and getting my hopes up for a few hot seconds. I also like that a lot of the money goes back into the community too – so when I “waste” my money, there’s also a nice side affect that comes with it.
- ***BONUS*** My 6 numbers are gonna be: 27, 5, 16, 34, 14, and 8. (Thx random Flickr person!)
Alrighty – your turn! Answer away and then don’t forget to give us your 6 lucky numbers – I’ll be blogging about it later on unless you catch me on TV first ;) And remember – 50% goes straight to you! It’ll be like “It Could Happen To You” all over again. W00T.
**UPDATE: Commenter, SophieW, below mentioned that the woman above passed away shortly after winning from cancer :( So sad!!! And what a way to leave this world! You can read more here.
(Photo, and lucky numbers, by scottfeldstein)
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!