I was mailing out one of the $50 Christmas Stimulus gift cards the other day that I was kinda slacking on (oops), and I got a pretty interesting email back from the winner. Get this — she said she could feed her husband and herself for almost TWO WEEKS on that much money! She only spends $30/week on groceries!!! It almost blew my socks off :)
And then it got me wondering how much everyone else spends on groceries each week? So I tweeted it out to Twitter land, and Facebooked it around on BookFace (remember Jim’s Halloween costume? haha…) and what I got back was an array of all sorts of different numbers and lifestyles. Of course there are a TON of different variables that come into play here — number of family members, diet, location of where you live, if you include alcohol or toiletries or anything else you can pick up at grocery stores, eating out, etc – but I wasn’t about to sort it all out in 160 characters or less ;)
So, take from this what you will, but all I know is that many of you have far out frugal’d the Mrs. and I! I am taking notes, and I admire your stealthiness. Here’s what you all came back with when I asked what you spend vs the $30/week our friend does:
- @studenomics: lol that’s how much I spend in a day sometimes!
- @growrichsimply: $125 for a family of six… my wife says we can shrink it, but only if we become veg… not happening dude.
- @jopinion: that is insane… I spend at least $50/week and its just me. wtf
- Meredith Lines: $40 to $50 for two adults. I can get it down to 25 or 30, but that means no booze!
- Sarah Parsons O’Neill: Family of 6, and our normal weekly budget is about $100-$125. I will spend $175/week about once every 2 months. I could get it a lot lower if I cut back on buying “easy” foods like juice boxes, packaged crackers, apple sauce cups, etc… but I have 4 kids and I would go insane if I had to portion that stuff out all the time. I used to be that crazy coupon lady, but I really eased up on that too, because it was consuming a lot of my time. I should devote some time to cutting a few and saving at least a couple of bucks though… Well that is just the grocery store, that doesn’t include fast food (shameful), or restaurants.
- @ItStartsWithUs: $60/week – just me – for groceries & eating out.
- Lisa Davis: About $80 a week for a family of 5 – I used to spend about $50 but with working full time plus in the end of building a house and moving, I have bought more foods that are convenient (bagged lettuce, precooked chicken, etc)
- Rachel Adams Howard: We spend $350 every two weeks (2 adults, 1 toddler, 1 infant) BUT I am curious if these low numbers people post are just food, or is this including all the other stuff you pick up at the store like diapers, TP, or bathroom stuff?
- Kimmie Mirocko: just one in the household, i budget $190 a month (just upped it from $150). but that includes all household items and toiletries as well as cat food and litter. i know i can do better!
- @devilishdelish: I eat out all the time, so probably at least $100 for just myself.
- @blondeonabudget: If I just buy groceries/don’t eat out, I probably spend $35-40/week. I’m sure I could spend less if I started couponing! lol
- @BestMoneyBlog: Um. Try $150+ easily a week for 2 people. Way too much.
- @Amityville8: Too much.
- @jerrets: $30/week for food means she’ll need her colon replaced in about 20 years. I spend $160/week for a family of 5.
- @kitchenpenguin: $50+ depending upon if I want to stock up on sale items or if the pantry is running low.
- @groceryalerts: We spend around $60 for 2 of us.
- @brownstoneREIgr: I need that person to teach me a few things.
- @rhyswynne: I’m on about £30 ($50) a week.
- @HeatherPierucki: Ummmm, I’m embarrassed…but probably $350 a month for two of us…and four dogs…
- @abbymaries: Way too much. Prob $50/wk on groceries for myself & fiancé. Then @ least 2 dinners out, 3-5 lunches & one coffee. :(
- @GrlRedBalloon: I spend $120 per month for myself. So about $30 per week. But it’s just me! :)
- @krystalatwork: I used to only spend $25/week when I was getting out of debt, but that was just for me. Now I spend $40-50/week
- @smartstep: way more than $30!
- @MalnurturedSnay: Way more than $30. How does she do it? I would love to save on my grocery bill.
- @SS4BC: $300/month. But I’m a family of 1. :)
- @pixie658: I spend $50-$100/wk. I don’t save a whole lot even if I don’t eat out bc I buy a lot of health food, local goods & seafood. But I almost always stay within my budget which is what matters. ;) I’m including alcohol as food btw. Hehe. ;) Last tweet! Happy Friday!
- @payingmyself: we spend about $100 cdn per week at the grocery store – incl household supplies
- @eemusings: Uh, more like $130 for two. Food prices just keep goin’ up and up…
- @Getalonghome: We spend about $70/wk for a family 5 (6, but one is still nursing.)
- @ms_candibee: $50-75/wk for 2 people and that’s with a lot of fresh veggies and the more expensive/good whole foods.
- @foxytuner: Hubs & I spend ~$80 every two weeks on food for us. We like eating out… ^_^;
- @serendipity85: I spend about that for Rambo and I although I’d love to spend 60 a week
- @PennyFrugalista: $75 a week for myself and my husband. Yay, coupons & sales!
After running some numbers myself, I quickly realized that we are totally way over what it seems an average couple spends on food. (If I weren’t so lazy, I’d actually google for that average right now, haha…). Mrs. BudgetsAreSexy and I spend a whopping $100 every week on groceries! That includes all cat stuff (we have 2), home stuff, hairsprays, toothpastes, shower stuff, and anything else you can pick up at Safeway. Which we know already puts us behind (We’re considering swapping to Shoppers Food Warehouse, but it’s just a bit farther out from us and not as cozy & nearby as Safeway). And that doesn’t include alcohol OR eating out either. Crazy, huh?
What do your grocery numbers look like? List ’em out with the following variables:
– Number of family members (including pets): _______
– City of where you live: _______
– Does this include toiletries & other non-food things? _____
– Does this include alcohol? ______
– Does this include eating out? _____
– These numbers make me _____ (happy? proud? frightened?)
Hope some of you make us feel better!! Haha… nah, no right or wrong answers here. This is purely for curiosity. We all have different diets and lifestyles, so putting too much stock in these comparisons won’t do ya much good. But of course we can all use some motivation! :)
(Food face by y2bk)
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!