Now I KNOW some of you are with me on this one ;) I only just realized this the other day but MAN is it dead on. I really truly only buy things that are on sale – excluding items that never get discounted like lottery tickets and for some reason bananas.
I don’t think I mean to do this, it’s just that not many things are truly WORTH the money to me. It’s actually pretty annoying… Sometimes I wish I didn’t have that “bargain gene” that’s been passed down through generations and generations of thrift shoppers in my family. I love getting good deals, don’t get me wrong, but my goodness is it hard to pull that cash away from me at times! (Like during my birthdays when family gives me money to do just that – SPEND. On me. The worst is having to make something up whenever my grandmother asks what I treated myself to with her money. “It’s in the bank” just isn’t as exciting to her as it is me. But I digress…)
My name is J$, and I only shop on sale. And as I’m sure you’re aware, there are some pros and some cons when it comes to this. Let’s discuss a little, shall we?
The Pros of Only Sale Shopping
- You get items at discount!
- You can get MORE items because of the discount.
- You feel that your hard work of sorting & picking pays off.
- You have fewer places to pick through since sales sections are only a portion of the store ;)
- If there’s no sale, there’s no spending!
The Cons of Only Sale Shopping
- Way less variety.
- You usually have to act quick.
- Rarely are the newest styles/products on sale.
- And as we’ve discussed, sometimes there is NOTHING on sale
- You have to sort through the crap to find the golden nuggets!
- You *sometimes* buy something BECAUSE it is on sale, not because you actually want it. (well, I don’t do this all that much but I know $hit tons of friends who do. The whole “well it WAS $600 and I got it for only $400!”)
- You may or may not feel cheap brushing through all the “good stuff” in order to get to the sales stuff way in the back ;)
Now, it’s not to say I don’t ever slip up and go a little overboard at times (*ahem* on my $500+ bling watch, or my $40 bling water), but in general if it’s not on sale I ain’t buyin’. I don’t know if that makes me cheap, or frugal, but it does make me ME. And that’s how I’m rollin’ these days…
(photo by Ivan Walsh)
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!