[UPDATE: It’s gonna be a boy!]
WOWWWWWW!!! I finally get to tell everyone!! Do you know how long I’ve been keeping this hidden for??? Exactly 12 weeks and a day :) Which my wife specifically told me to keep hush just in case something bad happens to him/her in that 1st trimester (for those who don’t know about baby stuff, like me, it’s when they’re the most likely to be miscarried).
But today we cross that mark, and Mr. J. to the Poppa Money is one happy mother f*cker. (Will probably have to curb that language soon, huh?)… I haven’t really been blogging about it much cuz we were a bit scared at the possibility of maybe not being *able* to have kids cuz it was taking so long, but almost 2 years later after we started trying we are looking on the up and up :) And while this post right now probably won’t be much about the money aspects of it all, you better believe I’ll be divulging all of that craziness over the next 6 months till that baby pops! (OMG 6 months!!!). And I guess then forever and ever and ever too, haha…. Freaky! And AWESOME! And Scaryyyy!!!!
But while it was certainly all kinds of emotionally mixed earlier on over 9 weeks ago, we’ve now got it under control and it’s become our new way of life already :) Here’s a breakdown of how I found out, and how much I was in utter shock throughout the whole process:
- Nate and I are in Indianapolis, IN – a good 592.5 miles away from my home – getting ready for Love Drop #10.
- We are in Babys “R” Us (no joke!) shopping for our recipient’s newborn triplets, and every dang baby in that store was smiling at me. I even make a joke to Nate about it and he says, “One day you’ll have one too.” Who knew THAT DAY was “the day!”
- After 5 hours straight of shopping (no joke, again) for diapers and baby formula and all kinds of doodads I don’t even know what are used for, I send Mrs. BudgetsAreSexy a picture text of the $1,500 of stuff we’re buying which fills up not only 4 large shopping carts, but also the check-out line as well ;)
- This text apparently triggers her to take a pregnancy test, as she was about to down a nice glass of red wine (hah!), and frantically calls me back leaving a voicemail along the lines of “Call me now! Call me Now! It’s IMPORTANT! But I’m safe, don’t worry.” – which I didn’t get cuz I was spending that $1,500 worth of said merchandise, and by the time I listen to it we’re in the car about to pull away from the store.
- I tell Nate to take the wheel cuz my wife’s freaking out (though I’m glad she ended the message with “I’m okay,” which is VERY important when you leave crazy messages like that), and I quickly shoot her a call back.
- Now I’m thinking she’s probably won backstage passes to NKOTBSB or something, cuz she’s always entering (and winning) contests like that, but as soon as she utters the words my mouth drops WIDE open and for a second the whole world freezes and I’m at a complete loss of thought.
- “I THINK WE’RE PREGNANT!” She quickly gets out… *silence*… *silence*… *silence*, “OMG“ I finally manage to say. And then I tell her to go take like 10 billion more tests, just to make sure, and each one comes back positive :) “We’re gonna have a boobie!”
And the rest is history :) I fly back the next day after presenting Love Drop and holding all those babies imagining that they’re my OWN (and Nate telling me to enjoy my freedom while I can!), and we quickly start figuring out what to do and how to do it, and when to do it and all the rest that comes with the territory. AKA we jump on Google for 10 hours straight and proceed to freak ourselves out :)
But that’s the beauty of it all right? New soon-to-be parents trying to figure it all out, and filled with every single feeling under the sun. And after trying for over a year and a half at that point, really still in SHOCK more than anything that it hit us when we least expected it. Or at least when *I* least expected it – sitting in the parking lot there of Babys “R” Us when it seemed more like an April Fool’s joke than the start to an incredible and exciting adventure!
And if you can see those pictures down there, our baby looks really healthy so far!! We just did our latest rounds of checks and balances to see if he/she is high risk for any horrible diseases out there (blood work will come back in the next week), but right now all is good and I’m working on a new financial game plan as you would probably expect I’d be doing :) In fact, I think one of the first things I managed to mutter out after the “OMG” incident was “I need to open up a savings account for her!” Haha… it’s funny what your brain tells you when you get such drastic news like that :) And yup, I said “her” because I want a baby girl more than anything in this whole entire world, and I will not stop having babies, or practicing to have babies (ow ow!) until I finally get one in my arms. But of course I’ll love that little booger no matter what it turns out to be!
So that’s my life over these last 9 weeks so far… quite a whirlwind, and incredibly hard NOT to slip up and say something on Facebook or Twitter or even here on the blog until we got close to that 12 weeks scare period. You never know what the Big Man has in store for you at any point of a pregnancy (or life, for that matter) but no matter what happens going forward, I will never forget this overjoyed feeling I have right now, or even this instance here of sharing it all with you guys as I type this. I love y’all so very much for continuing to support my dreams of blogging this entire year (my 1 year fired-versary was last Thursday!!! WOW!!), and I’ll continue sharing our lives with you for as long as you continue to want to hear it :)
If you have kids yourself, or you know a lot about t ’em, now’s your chance to share all your secrets with me! So I can make sure I’m the best father a little J. Money can ask for! We still got a looooooong 6 months to go, but something tells me our lives are gonna change more than we can ever imagine :) Here’s to love and happiness!
PS: Those are our real sonograms! Check out the one of him/her waving to us, haha…
PPS: Remember how I was saving all that cash, but didn’t really know what to do with it yet, except for to keep storing it up as a nice safety pillow? Well, I think we have the answer now :)
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!