What up what up!
Been compiling a list of some of the more interesting financial apps and services I’ve been pitched on lately, and out of the 872 of them this year here were the ones I thought looked most promising ;)
Let me know if you end up trying any of them out!
Bring Your Own Budget (byobudget.com) — “I made a webapp, BYOB, that lets you use texting to record purchases in a google spreadsheets based budget (e.g. a budget that one might already be using). I built it for myself, and as I did I realized that some people might find it useful as well.”
KeeperTax (keepertax.com) — “Keeper Tax automatically finds tax write offs for 1099 contractors / self employed people. We do this using algorithms and human bookkeepers to search through bank / cc statements for tax write offs. Things like home office, business travel, insurance premiums, etc.”
Worthy Bonds (worthybonds.com) — “Earn 5% interest on $10 Worthy Bond purchases while supporting your fellow humans.” Highlights:
- Can start investing with only $10
- Earn 5% annual interest
- Bonds can be cashed in anytime
- Totally free service – no account or transaction fees
- 3 easy ways to buy – on demand, a “set it & forget it” monthly recurring investment or via our round-up your spare change feature to auto invest
- Bonds are backed by a diverse portfolio of secured loans
- Supports American companies as bond sale proceeds are lent out primarily for inventory loans to growing businesses
U-Nest (u-nest.com) — “The first mobile app designed to help families save for college with a 529 College Savings Plan. In under five minutes, families can be on their way to ending the crushing cycle of student debt – no paperwork, no expensive advisors, for as little as $25/month.” UPDATE: The $25/mo is the minimum *investment*, not the cost to use U-Nest :) That is only $3.00/mo…
Root (joinroot.com) — “A mobile AI app that allows users to save up to 52% on their car insurance. Users receive their rates primarily based off of their driving performance following a 2-3 week long test drive.”
MaxRewards (maxrewards.co) — “MaxRewards is a free app that helps you build your credit, track your spend, and maximize your rewards. Our typical users earn over $1,900 in rewards in their first year.” Features:
- Best Wallet Recommendation: The app simulates millions of credit card combinations to objectively identify your best combination of cards for your unique profile and preferences.
- Sign Up Bonus Tracker: The app keeps track of your qualifying spend towards your signup bonus.
- Upcoming Bills: See all of your upcoming bills and their autopay status in one place so you never pay a late fee again.
- Best Card To Use: MaxRewards shows you the best cards to use wherever you are. The app keeps track of bonus categories, spending limits, and reward valuations so you can focus on making your life more rewarding.
- Card Overview and Details: Quickly review your cards, balances, and credit availability. Deep-dive into any card to see rewards, fees, transactions, and card information.
- Trends: Understand how you spend and how you earn rewards. Filter your spend and rewards over time, by card, and by category.
- Credit Scores: Instead of relying on one or two scores (not actually used by your banks), see ALL your credit scores, factors, and history from all of your issuers.
(MaxRewards is currently on beta, but you can request an invite here, and it’ll give you access when you put “JMONEY” in for your access code. It’s currently in Apple TestFlight and the Google Play Store.)
Trust & Will (TrustandWill.com) — “Trust & Will is the easiest way to create, edit, store, and share your trust and will. We offer Trusts, Wills, & Guardianship to help protect the ones you love, starting at only $39.”
(Another will-related service that seems to be blowing up is Tomorrow.me, where you can actually craft a legal will right from your phone (and for FREE). Seems a bit wild, but hey – it’s a new age, eh?)
AskZeta (askzeta.com) — “Zeta helps couples master their finances together. Our platform allows couples to link their accounts, auto-set budgets, and understand their spending.” Features:
- Personal and shared views (budgets, net worth, spending, goals)
- Privacy controls (you keep 100% control over what your partner sees)
- Customizable (custom-categories, split expenses, manual transactions)
- Automate everything (budgets, rules)
- Easy access (we support both desktop and mobile apps)
And then one new’ish product on the scene, that’s not money related but some of you parents might appreciate, is a spinoff from Republic Wireless called “Relay”.
Relay (relaygo.com) — “The simplest and safest first phone for your child. It’s screen-free, as easy to use as a walkie talkie — and works everywhere.” Features:
- Integrated GPS location tracking
- No screens = no screen time concerns
- Durable, play-proof design
- Nationwide 4G LTE coverage, just like your phone
- Free voice apps available including music, language translation, and more
- $9.99 per Relay / monthly service + no contracts
We’ve actually mentioned these on the blog before in passing, but I recently got my hands on a few to test out and my kids have been having a blast playing around with them :) Which, granted, isn’t the main point of them, haha, but they def. work well when hiding in closets or any other hidden places around your home/backyard! You literally do just have to push a button and talk into it to use these guys – pretty ingenious… (And also probably good for outdoor enthusiasts or even seniors who get frustrated with how fancy phones have become these days…Tons of applications for these things)
At any rate – hope you find something interesting here! We’ll start a fresh new list and see what else smart people come up with over time ;)
Anyone already using any of these products?! Are they as good as they sound?
Some of the product links above are affiliates, meaning I’ll get a few bones if you end up trying them out… Though I’ve listed *all* the products I’ve found interesting lately regardless of affiliations.
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!