Welcome to Friday, hustlers :)
It seems Spring brings out all the hope and beautiful flowers out there, but it also brings out the ol’ entrepreneurial spirit too. As evidence of the 5+ lawn mower hustlers that have since knocked on my door these past two weeks – hah. But as my aptly titled post says today, the more you slack the less you stack! And the first rule of sales is that you have to *ASK* or it’s an automatic no.
And this week I was reminded of this in two ways.
The first, when I opened up my mouth and said “yes” to the 5th person who asked to mow my lawn for money. Why would I do that now when I haven’t paid anyone – EVER – to mow my lawn? Because they caught me at a time that was most ripe: when I had a $hit ton of work to do and would rather spend my extra time with my kids that day instead of on the house. And I’m not going to lie, I actually enjoyed it :) A time freer-upper for me, and a financial win for my neighbor. And yet another benefit of having your money situated – you can splurge when you’d like!
The second time I was reminded of the power of the ask was when I almost hit “delete” on an email inquiring if I freelance write. To which the answer is usually a “no,” unless I have the gumption to ask for an over-the-top number just to see what happens. It worked once, so I tried again at $1,000 and was promptly declined. Only to be “negotiated” down to $750 ;) Which is a lot more exciting to write for than the typical $15-$50/post that us finance bloggers usually get pitched! And since it literally takes me 3-4 hours to write even simple articles like the one you’re reading right now (it doesn’t come naturally for me), I’m forced to limit my gigs. Which is why I usually just politely decline.
Now don’t be fooled into thinking you always get such a favorable response – I’ve been firmly rejected over a dozen times going this audacious route – but the point is you might as well ask before shutting it down. Or in the case of actively pursuing clients like many of you are, making sure you’re shooting for a number that will not only excite you, but probably help you produce better work at the same time since you’d be paid a premium!
I literally had a blogger email me just an hour ago asking me this: “So I’m trying to make $100,000 per year (gross) with freelance writing alone. Do you think I’m crazy?” I told him no, I didn’t think he was crazy, but he’s going to have to ASK a crazy amount of times and hustle like he’s never hustled before to reach it, haha… And hopefully there’s a more motivating goal behind wanting $100,000 than just for the money alone (like going self-employed, paying off debt, saving for early retirement, etc, etc). The nice thing about hustles that have clients, though, is that you can slowly swap them out as time goes on for bigger and better fish :) At least in theory…
Point is, the doers win and the talkers don’t. If you want to bring home that extra money, get out there and start asking! It’s already a no if you don’t!
Here are 50+ hustles you can try out: budgetsaresexy.com/ways-to-make-money
And here are two resources if you’re interested in the writing route: Five Figure Writer – a $19 eBook my friend Sarah put out showing step-by-step, and with raw data, how she earned $59,000 in her first year freelancing. And Write A Blog People Will Read – a course on how to find your “voice” and write more interestingly. By fellow blogger, and professional journalist, Donna Freedman. (The course costs $147, but if you email her at [email protected] you’ll get 20% off)
How the rest of my $$$$/Life went this week…
- Digit banked me another $5.46. And also just raised $11.3 million in additional funding this week! If they pull off just a fraction of what they’re trying to do, the traditional banking world is going to be in trouble… And I’ll be reporting from the sidelines as I continue to help them ;)
- Acorns threw another $6.36 into investments for me. Unfortunately it’ll never be too much more each week as I don’t spend a lot and thus they don’t have many transactions to round up for me, but at the end of the day of course that’s a good problem to have :)
- Baby Nickel earned another $50.00 just from being born (birthday money – hah)
- My change found per walk dropped from 2 cents/walk on avg to 1/2 cents :(
- The amount I paid my neighbor to mow/weedwack my lawn? $20 bones.
- And lastly, the amount I’ve kept in my bank since nixing daycare 3 weeks ago: $1,500.00. Almost as much as our mortgage! Now on the flip side this means my wife still hasn’t found a good place to put her PHD to use since that’s why they’re now at home, but I’m in no rush to get them back out of the house again… It’s nice being able to see them whenever I want :)
In other awesome/dumb news….
- I was featured in Elle – hah! 4 Steps to Creating a Budget You’ll Actually Follow
- A piece I contributed to for Daily Worth / Yahoo: 8 signs you’re living beyond your means
- A rap song I forgot I made last year ;) Cash, Money, Budgets [NSFW]
- All my early retirement friends got featured in a kick-ass article on VOX: How to Retire in Your 30s
- And I saw quite possibly the WORST license plate ever. It looked like this:
- Which might as well have said this:
- (And the funny part was she wasn’t even ridin’ around in style! :))
Budgets Are Sexy Time Machine:
Some of y’all commented last week how you liked seeing my older articles, so thought we’d bring back this feature this week too. Here are the things we posted about on this same day last year…. and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that… We start with a GREAT one!
- How I Ran a Business Out of a Shoebox & Made $10,000
- Game Boys and 401(k)s
- Awesome FREE Place to Check Your Credit Score – Can You Beat Me? ;)
- Your Mission This Week: Save (or Earn) $50!
- This is What Perseverance Looks Like
- 5 Things I’ll be Blowing my Money on this Boy’s Weekend.
Didn’t come across any cool companies this week, so instead, follow me EVERYWHERE or we’re not friends!
Because God forbid you miss out on a remarkable blog post I release into the world that forever changes your life – and your money – and then you swear off budgeting forever and go back to making license places like that asshat featured above! Egads!
- Get these blog posts via email: my newsletter
- Follow me on Twitter: @BudgetsAreSexy
- Fan me on Facebook: facebook.com/budgetsaresexy
- Link me on LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/jmoneyyyyyy
- Pin me on Pinterest: pinterest.com/jmoneyyyyyy
- Insta me on Instagram: instagram.com/jmoneyyyyyy
- R me in RSS: budgetsaresexy.com/feed
- Money me on GiveMeAllYourMoney.com! Just kidding… just wanted to make sure you were still paying attention :) (That would actually be a pretty cool domain though!)
Back to hustling we go… Remember: The more you slack, the less you stack!
I should note I’m not nearly as clever enough to come up with such a genius line like this. But I was genius enough to snatch it from PositiveThinking.net and continue passing on the good word ;)
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!