Remember those?? Or has life thrown you back into “normal land” again along with your motivation? Haha… If so, consider me your alarm clock buzzing around your ears and the only way you can turn me off is to come up with a new one to tackle this month ;)
What’s changed in the past 4 weeks that you’d rather work on instead?
Personally, I haven’t gone a DAY without thinking of mine – mainly because it’s a change that NEEDS to happen more than just a want. Every week that goes by I see more and more stuff that needs to be simplified in my life, and slowly but surely I work on it piece by piece. (If you missed my post earlier on what I’m resolving to do in 2013, it’s to focus more and keep things simple – something I constantly need to work on…)
In fact, this post today came about from a huge surge of energy I got yesterday while opening up my 1,001 accounts! (Because I’m anonymous here, I pretty much have double EVERYTHING. Gmails, twitters, facebooks, you name it). So outside of me nudging y’all to remember to keep on track with this year’s goals, it’s also a selfish way for me to pat myself on the back for all that I’ve been accomplishing lately too, haha… Is that bad? ;)
Here’s everything I’ve simplified so far:
- I unsubscribed myself from all future Woot.com and other “Daily deal” emails – something that I’ll probably miss a little, just cuz it’s exciting to see what the deals are each day!, but in reality doesn’t add much value outside of that… Especially since I rarely buy anything from them anyways – at least anything I *need*.
- I cancelled my personal Facebook page! ACK! Something I would have never EVER ever believed I’d have done 4-5 years ago. But times are a changing and just knowing my stuff as out there not being touched at all just started bothering me… Perhaps I’m getting more conservative as the years go by? (Also, did you know you can download all your photos from your account at any time? OR that you can then re-activate your account anytime too, just by logging in again later? I found that to make my decision much less scary when I finally hit that button in the end :))
- I cancelled all magazine subscriptions I no longer read anymore. Which so far has come to 5 out of my total 11 I signed up to last year in a fit of obsession ;) GQ, Fortune, and Veranda being amongst them. (I of course can never git rid of any of my money mags!)
- I now answer all robo/spam phone calls and specifically ask them to take me off their crappy lists. Instead of ignoring them over and over and over again, day in and day out which gets super irritating. One time pains for future gains!
- I also answer all calls from my friends & family now right away. Rather than waiting for a more convenient time to call them back in batches, which not only stresses me out since then I need more pockets of time to get them all done, but also leads me to forget more and/or upset my peeps. As evidence of them now all responding with “Wow, you answered your phone!” ;) This also cuts down on the chances of hour long phone calls of catching up from over the months and years gone by… Or is that just something I dread?
- I’ve put to bed any ideas of owning more real estate and/or consignment shops. Which all leads to more “stuff” both physically AND mentally – even though financially they may or may not be better. I figure I never have a shortage of business ideas though, and there are a ton of different ways to invest your money as well. Possibly IN those new business ideas :)
- I’m offloading more and more of my clothes and random stuff around the house. Straight to The Salvation Army! It def. gets harder as you dwindle down over time, but I find I’m getting a tad better knowing that eventually I’ll only be left with the stuff I really truly love, which is pretty cool.
I think that’s everything I’ve worked on so far here, but it’s definitely not the last of it. I’m actively trying to do at least *ONE* small thing a day to get closer and closer to my goals… which really doesn’t have an end in sight, considering I left it wide open and vague to begin with! Haha… But on the other hand you can apply the concepts of “simplicity” and “focusness” to all aspects of your life – both financial and otherwise. And since I’m doing well with the money parts so far, it leaves me a lot of time to concentrate on the other – less exciting – areas of life ;)
Your turn to divulge! What have you (or haven’t you) been working on this year? Are you over your resolutions already, or are you nice and motivated still? If you haven’t thought about them in a while, do yourself a favor and replace ’em with one new SIMPLER one today. Think of something you can really sink your teeth into and start working on right away! Something that excites you.
This J. Money alarm clock is now turning off, so no more hitting snooze! ;)
UPDATE: I have now since cancelled my personal LinkedIn account and my personal Twitter account too… I’m getting lighter and lighter as the days go by, baby!
[Photo by Hugo Quintero]
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!