True or False: You can go an entire month without eating out ONCE? No Wendys, no Subways, no snack machines!!! Nothing. Everything you eat – or drink – has to be bought from a grocery store for the entire month of November! Think you can do it?
Well there’s no way I can!! I wouldn’t last 3 days! Haha… I’m not joking, there is no way in hell right now that I can plan out my meals and/or cook & prepare them. I don’t even have time to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches! (but if I did, I’d TOTALLY make them this way, haha…) But then again I have absolutely no desire to prioritize something like this now either ;)
BUT – Do I think it’s a freakin’ fabulous idea? Heck yeah! Not only for the health of your bodies, but also for the health of your budgets!. Imagine how much you could save by preparing all this in a advance? The random snack splurges alone could be enough to pay off a bill or two ;)
So if you DO think you could pull it off, or wanna give it a shot and see, rush on over to Enemy of Debt and take Brad’s No Restaurants in November Challenge!! That guy’s a BEAST at motivating people and he’s already got a team of 7-8 joining him. It’s not too late to jump in if you wanna see how much you end up saving :) That’s his family’s whole reason to give it a shot – gotta get back to the basics.
A few words to the wise though, it’s not going to be easy. You’ll have to watch out for things like:
- Having to say NO to lunch with your work spouse.
- Not being able to go to happy hours! (remember, beers count)
- Not being able to go out on dinner dates. Although home-cooked meals together is much much sexier anyways.
- Not being able to party around the holidays!!! Thanksgiving falls in November, don’t forget! And you know damn well all your old high school or college friends are gonna try and make you come out to bars and/or restaurants ;)
- And even more importantly, at least to me right now, no business or networking events at any diners or coffee shops! $hit, you can’t even have any STARBUCKS!
So yeah, you get the point. It’s definitely not for the faint of heart. But then again, you sure would be saving a lot of money during those 30 days! Imagine pocketing an “extra” $200 or $300 this month? Niiiiiiiice! (in the voice of Borat). All that sacrificing would pay off for sure. Literally.
So I ask you again, good sirs & gentlewomen:
Do you dare take the No Restaurants in November Challenge?
(Photo taken J$)
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!