And how do you feel about them? Could you have gotten them cheaper? Are they all mandatory expenses for being real-life human beings?
These are all things that randomly popped in my brain this morning which you’re now having the pleasure of seeing ;) But there’s also some points to it all too – like checking up on yourself to make sure you’re paying attention to everything (pop quiz!), and also to give us voyeurs something to
gawk at learn from so we can potentially better ourselves too ;)
So let’s see how naughty or not y’all have been! I’ll go first… Here are the last 5 things on my USAA credit card (which I use to budget everything with), and how I feel we’re doing. I’m pretty sure I’m not going to be perfect here, haha…
- Dental insurance @ $16.00 — I probably should just cancel it since I have yet to use it once in the past 2 years since signing up, but I’m trying to be a responsible adult here and keep it just in case :) Plus, I really need to get back to doing those 6 month checkups you’re supposed to be doing anyways – I’ve been slacking like crazy in that department…
- University parking ticket @ $15.00 — This time my WIFE’s fault and not mine! Haha… though she claims it was a 100% valid parking job she did, so she’s currently in the process of fighting it. Apparently you have to pay it first and *then* file a dispute if you feel you’ve been wronged… funny how that works.
- Safeway @ $109.85 — This is for our weekly groceries which admittedly is way too high for a couple and baby – especially seeing the comments here on this old post we did! Man some of y’all are killing it, I’m impressed! What we really need to do is win our own $100 Safeway gift card we’re giving away on TakeOurGiftCards.com ;) (Shameless plug, sorry!) To think this doesn’t even include any beer either!
- Beer store @ $10.89 — Ahh, there we go… looks like the wife picked up a 6-pack the other day – she’s so good to me :) Unfortunately we haven’t found a smart way to save more in this department other than drinking less (Hah!), but it’s not like we blow through much here anyways so we’re fine with the prices we shell out for.
- ‘Quarterly’ subscription @ $50.00 — Now THIS one was an impulse buy, which I’m starting to already regret, haha… BUT that’s only because a) I signed up to this a month ago before I wanted to try (yet again) to be more minimalistic, and b) I haven’t even SEEN the thing yet! For those who aren’t familiar with them, Quarterly is basically a quarterly subscription service to a package from one of your favorite online or celebrity personalities. You pick the one that resonates the most with you (say, Chris Guillebeau or Tim Ferris, or that you think will source some cool stuff, and then they put together these packages of things that inspire them and mail ’em to you. It’s all rather interesting, really, and the subscriptions range anywhere from $20 every 3 months to $100+, all depending on who’s package you sign up for (ow ow!). I subscribed to Pharrell Williams’ because I think he’s a freaking genius and rapper all mixed into one. Have you seen his latest song/video up there with Robin Thicke? That $hit’s hot,yo! So I dropped $50 to see what his brain comes up with next, and I’m secretly hoping it changes my life in some incredible way ;) I’ll probably hit unsubscribe shortly after anyways…
So that’s where my money’s been going in the past 48 hours… $201.74 in total! All stuff I can DEFINITELY work on without a doubt, the question now just becomes – “do I *want* to?” and “will I stick to it the future?” Haha…
The big one for us is really the weekly grocery costs – we have tons of room to improve there. The other stuff is kinda random and I do like an adventure here and there, but I do have to watch myself more and make sure I don’t let things slip just ‘cuz I’m not paying attention to it, ya know? Overall I’m pretty happy with stuff though.
Your turn! What were the last 5 things YOU spent money on, and how does it make you feel? Anything you could have done better to save money on? Or are you pleasantly content with how your money’s flowing here lately?
PS: Here are some of our past 5 For Fridays if you’re jonesin’ to answer some more questions :)
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!