In my continued mission this year to share kick-ass services I come across from blogging, I happily bring you yet another one I think
you your wallet is really going to like :)
It’s called Honey, and it does this:
“Honey magically scours the Internet for ANY coupon that is active for the website you’re shopping on. During checkout, just click the Honey button and we’ll automatically apply the best coupon to save you the MOST money.”
How simple is that? It’s not an app or even a web app, but rather a browser extension.
You download it right off the site, and seconds later it’ll show up in the upper right corner of your web browser as a little “h” icon –> . Like this:
It works on Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera, and has over 1,300 Google Reviews rating it 4 and 1/2 stars. Why I’m just learning about it now, I don’t know, but they’ve been around for over 2 years now an I’m officially its newest user :)
In fact, this makes the perfect companion piece to all those other services we’re using! A financial nerd’s wet dream – hah.
- Honey will save me money before I buy something
- Paribus will find me money after I buy something (when the price drops/sneaky marketing happens) – Paribus compensates us when you sign up for Paribus using the links we provided
- And then Acorns will round up the purchase to the nearest dollar and invest the difference!
And of course, we also have Digit humming along in the background xfering over small chunks of money into my savings account automatically too. Technology is awesome, isn’t it?
So to recap…
Pros of using Honey:
- It’s free!
- Takes seconds to download
- It’s automatic (though you do have to click to apply the coupon)
- It saves you money!
Cons of using Honey:
- It doesn’t work on all browsers yet, like Internet Explorer
- It doesn’t work with all online stores yet (UPDATE: It now works with Amazon – wooooo!!!!)
- It doesn’t work on mobile – just desktop
- If you don’t spend a lot of money online, you won’t save a lot of money
And unfortunately/fortunately, that last one is exactly why I can’t tell you how much I’ve saved so far since I don’t spend much anymore :) My wife does though for all our house and gifting needs, so I just like I did with Paribus I’m forcing her to download this as well (Paribus compensates us when you sign up for Paribus using the links we provided). I’ll see if I can give you an update on that dynamic duo later once it’s been humming for a while. If you’re already spending online, you might as well get stuff cheaper, eh?
So that’s Honey in a nutshell :)
Want to try it out? Sign up here.
Already using it? Let us know what you think! And more importantly, how much you’ve saved so far! I feel like a couple of you have dropped their name over the years here and I simply wasn’t smart enough to pick up on it, haha… I’m a disgrace to all financial bloggers everywhere, what can I say ;)
Hope y’all find this useful… Let us know what other tricks/services save you $$$!
PS: Did I mention they have a sense of humor too?
PLEASE NOTE: As always with companies I love and review, I get compensated if you sign up through any of the links here. If this service is not for you, please do not sign up.
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!