I love having a side hustle. It’s where I get my beer money, coffee money, I-absolutely-need-to-buy- that-shirt money. It’s not glamorous, but I’m OK with that. I’m a lifeguard. It’s not just for high schoolers with sun screen on their noses.
I’ve been a lifeguard since I worked at a summer camp back in the day. When I went to college, I decided that if lifeguarding was a good way to spend my summer, it would be a good part time during my semester. Before I knew it, lifeguarding paid for my college degree. And now that I’m a grown-up (?) with a 9-5, you’ll find me at the pool a couple mornings a week before I start my “real job.”
Cons of Lifeguarding:
- It’s not exciting. At all. You sit there and/or pace around a pool deck watching people swim laps for a few hours at a time.
- The hourly pay doesn’t compare with the tips that one could make waitressing or bar tending.
Pros of Lifeguarding:
- Flexible shifts — I can work a whole shift before I have to be to the office by 9 am. I could also work just evenings or just weekends, if I so desired.
- Free gym membership — This one is the most motivating for me, and makes the not-so-amazing hourly wage much better. Not only am I making a bit of extra money, but I’m not spending any of my hard-earned money on a gym membership. If I had a family, this benefit would apply to them as well.
- Childcare provided — not something that I need to take advantage of, but it’s there if I would need it.
- Extremely discounted classes — yoga, pilates, spin, toning– all for half of what gym members pay. Plus, I get free access to the gym, pool, and climbing wall.
For me, the pros definitely out-weigh the cons. And that’s why I stick with it.
Interested in working at a gym? Many gyms offer similar benefits to their employees, and they have many different positions that they need to fill. Willing to man the front desk on Saturday morning? Could you coach a youth sports team? Teach a class? If you’re looking for a side hustle, check out your local gym to see if they’re hiring!
Guest Post by Rachel, who blogs about her active life and her pursuit of balance and moderation at her site, Balance and Blueberries.
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!