Hope you had a good weekend!
Came across this poll on things that genuinely make your life better, and an hour later I had a list of all kinds of recommendations noted in case I ever need them one day, haha…
And all from like-minded people too! (ie mindful/productivity nuts)
The books and app recommendations were my favorites…
Here was the more generic answers first, followed by a list of the more specific products which I appreciated the most since it directs you right to “the best” to avoid paralysis by analysis, haha…
Most popular answers:
- Bibles (lots of these!)
- Gym memberships
- Condoms (hah!)
- Water bottles
- Journals and pens (also super popular)
- Work out equipment
- Yoga mats
- Domain names (guilty!)
- Dumb phones (surprising to see?)
- Bluetooth headphones
- Toilet paper (jokers)
- Phone batteries
- And then coffee… (my answer too)
And then here were the more *specific* recommendations that I was most interested in:
- Lamy Fountain Pen
- Pomodoro clock
- AeroPress Coffee Maker
- TEMPUR-Pedic Sleep Mask
- Thin black hangars from IKEA
- Moleskine unruled A5 notebook and a Uni Pin 0.3mm fineliner
- Flex bar by TheraBand — “worked miracles for my elbow tendinitis” – @nbabbitz
- Kohler Flipside shower head — “I give [it] as a housewarming gift I believe in it so much.” – @jmacias
- The Five Minute Journal — “I write in it every day. In over one year, the journal dramatically improved my happiness when I focus on mindfulness as I write.” – @BooValu23
- Flonase — “Using it for one week 5+ years ago somehow cured my lifelong battle with debilitating allergies. Use it every once in a while for maintenance now but symptoms now pale in comparison to before. Nectar of the gods.” – @jonhearty
- VARIERA Vacuum hose holder, silver-colour SR 17 — “Found it while looking for a shelf and screamed out loud in excitement. It was the thing I NEEDED and never knew til I saw it. As soon as I saw it, I knew: the daily hand-to-hand combat with my damn vacuum has ended thanks to this. And it did 😁” – @Naomi_Freeman
- The bestself.co journal — “Planner, journal, goals, notes, quotes, etc all in one great format. I’ve gifted this many times because of the profound impact it’s made on my life.” – @deepATL
- Mooncup.co.uk — “Since 2004 I no longer: 1) cause extra waste through single use items + packaging 2) put bleached products in my body 3) spend money on #menstruation Serious piece of design, good for me, the world, my bank balance. Men + women should know about them.” – @_riut
- The Happiness Planner — “Started with the 100 day planner and have used a full one I think 4 years in a row since, it really changed my life.” @happinessplannr
- F3Omaha/F3Nation — “Free fitness for all men, peer-lead, SUPER fun & challenging, made me a better person, husband, dad, & new friendships/brothers.” – @mursedrew
- Promixx 2.0 Electric Shaker Bottle — “Saves time, hassle, and cuts out that feeling of “I don’t feel like doing this.” I wish I was getting paid for the plug, because I truly believe in the product.” – @SlauterMatt
- TriggerPoint GRID Foam Roller (26-inch)
- LectroFan High Fidelity White Noise Machine
- Everlasting Comfort 100% Pure Memory Foam Knee Pillow
- Mellion Back Shoulder Neck Massager with Heat Deep Tissue Kneading
List of great books people love:
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari
- Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones by James Clear
- How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life by Scott Adams
- Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown (one of my personal favorites!)
- A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose by Eckhart Tolle
- How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- I Will Teach You To Be Rich by Ramit Sethi (another of my favorites)
- Your Money or Your Life: 9 Steps to Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence by Vicki Robin
- The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick) by Seth Godin
- The Millionaire Fastlane: Crack the Code to Wealth and Live Rich for a Lifetime! by MJ DeMarco
- Fit for Life: by Harvey Diamond and Marilyn Diamond
- The 10X Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure by Grant Cardone
- Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action by Simon Sinek
- Awareness: The Perils and Opportunities of Reality by Anthony De Mello and J. Francis Stroud
List of great apps people love:
- Brain.fm — We use our patented AI music engine and scientific research to create music to help you improve the activities you already do in 15 minutes or less.
- Todoist — Life can feel overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to. Todoist lets you keep track of everything in one place, so you can get it all done and enjoy more peace of mind along the way.
- Waking Up — Join Sam Harris – neuroscientist, philosopher, and best-selling author – on a meditation course for beginners and experienced meditators alike. Waking up is for everyone who understands that meditation should transform one’s view of the world.
- WeCroak — The WeCroak app is inspired by a Bhutanese folk saying: to be a happy person, one must contemplate death five times daily. Each day, we’ll send you five invitations to stop and think about death. Our invitations come at random times and at any moment, just like death.
- FocusMe — The most powerful App and Website Blocker for Windows, Mac & Android.
- Scribd — Enjoy an unlimited* number of books, audiobooks, magazines, and more.
- Headspace — A personal meditation guide, right in your pocket
- Qustodio — The Internet’s best free parental control app. Designed to supervise, manage and protect your child’s device use on the go!
I probably missed some others as the responses continued to flow in (now at over 500!), but hopefully this saves you some time if you were just as curious as I was when I first saw the tweet :)
I don’t normally go looking to spend money, but I’m always open to good recommendations from people in the community! So if you’ve got anything you’re obsessed over, would love to hear it!
What’s something that genuinely makes YOUR life better for under $50?
And before you say it, yes – I agree, Budgets Are Sexy *is* pretty awesome, thanks ;)
*Another big shout to James Clear who continues to captivate me!
**Most products and book links above go to Amazon and are affiliate links
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!