The Mrs. and I went apartment shopping this weekend (more to come on that later), and this place we checked out reminded me of an old-school hotel. It was billed as a “luxury” apartment building and just walking through the lobby and seeing the concierge and gym & pool, etc got me soooo excited! It really was like a hotel :) Had coffee downstairs and everything.
Then yesterday at work I started wondering if you COULD actually live out of a hotel? Can you imagine all the perks that it would come with? I think I could really see myself doing it!! Check it out:
Pros to living in a hotel
- A fancy & clean room! Or rooms if you get one of those corporate suite type things. The USAA folks actually hooked me up with one during our blogging trip out there the other month and it was PERFECT to live out of! Was really like a mini house.
- Free continental breakfast! Which would be more than the zero breakfast I eat right now ;)
- Unlimited coffee!!! That should save a few hundred dollars a month, haha…
- Maid service! Never have to make your bed again! Or do buy toilet paper or soap or shampoo or towels or sheets, etc.
- Gyms, pools, media rooms! And a host of other exciting things.
- No electric bills! Or water bills! Or cable bills!
- Reward points! From both the hotel itself, but also for using your credit card to pay the bill every month! Which brings us to the next perk:
- You can pay your “rent” with credit card!! Exactly what I was hoping for in last Friday’s post ;)
- Concierge service. To help watch for packages and hook you up with any tips or tricks you may need throughout your “visit.” I’d imagine you’d get in good with the entire staff after a few weeks ;)
- YOU CAN SAY YOU LIVE IN A HOTEL!!! And I’m pretty sure chicks dig that. Same with rock stars and celebrities. Ooooh that reminds me of another one!
- You will meet all sorts of new people. Imagine all the different folks coming through that hotel every day? Tourists, politicians, hot shots, celebrities, etc etc.
- You could crash tons of weddings/bar mitzvahs :) Or any other hotel parties that occur every single weekend of every single year! See, cuz you’d be “in” with the staff so you could always have a heads up of what’s going on. Haha…
Of course, a lot of those “free” perks up there really aren’t free since they’re all factored into your daily rate and what not (except for the parties – that’s worked out all on your own, pimp) but when you put it all together it sure does come out exciting. And if you REALLY think about how much we spend on our own home on a regular basis, I bet it comes close to evening out. Check it:
We spend roughly $2200 on our mortgages every month, + $300 or so on utilities (including cable & internet), then another $125 in homeowner association fees, + random ass repairs (we’ll call that $200 a month on average) + furniture to fill the house, and on and on and on.
So conservatively, we spend about $2800 to live out of this damn house (!!!!). Divide that by 30 and we’re basically spending $93.00 every SINGLE day to sleep here. That’s insane. And in case you haven’t guessed yet, we could rent a hotel room for the same cost, if not less!
Actually, I bet you can very well sort out some long-term rates with certain hotels to REALLY knock down your payments. Plus w/ all the reward points you’d get from both the hotel AND by putting it on your credit card, you’ll be saving even more every single month. See how easy it is for me to be convinced?! :)
Cons to living out of a hotel
- You don’t own it at the end. Which is only a con if you currently “own” your home like we do. You can scratch this if you’re renting!
- You get less space. Unless you’re moving from a 1 bedroom condo or studio, chances are your hotel room will be tinier. With the exception of those corporate suites I was talkin’ about.
- It’s kinda of impersonal. Cuz you won’t have your own furniture and tons of belongings with you (although you can certainly bring a lot in to make it your own).
- You can’t have pets. Usually.
- No kitchen. Which means a lot more eating out.
- Can’t do laundry. Unless the hotel provides it and you wanna dish out the exorbitant rates! But then again, not all apartments have washers and dryers anyways in the units…
- You never know who your neighbor will be. And they’ll constantly be changing. Or possibly blaring loud music or even worse: Making loud “noises” at night w/ each other! Haha… or prostitutes, who knows.
- People will think you’re strange. I won’t, but your family will :)
Boy, there’s a lot to consider when you really start thinking about this! I literally thought this post would take me like 5 minutes, haha… But when you’ve got something in your head you gotta get it out and make sure you consider all the sides ;) Can’t go around making rash decisions all the time, now can ya? But I gotta admit. Even after seeing all those cons up there I STILL think I’d wanna give it a shot! For like one solid year. I honestly think I would be happy!!! And at the very least come out with a fun experience.
Unfortunately though I think it’s much easier to pull off when you’re single. I don’t dare imagine wht the wife would say if I seriously ran this past her ;) But mark my words, I WILL find a way to do this one day! Even if that means hitting the lottery and going back and forth between my hotel and my home forever! Haha… this idea is hot, I’m telling you.
What do you all think? Would you ever give it a shot? If you do you HAVE TO promise to tell me so I can live vicariously through you for the time being :) Or I might just go live on a house boat, haha… so many things I want to try!
(Original photo by UggBoy♥UggGirl. Edited by J$)
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!