You know those weeks when people try to steal your money left and right? And you have to be extra on your game to power through and prevent it all from happening? Well, that was the case this week here at the J. Money household, and not surprisingly it mostly revolved around insurances. (Why is that always the case?)
So this week’s Wins & Losses is dedicated to you – Mr. Annoying Insurance. Watch how I finally beat you and kept my money!! *Evil laugh* (And how you also slipped in a gut punch, you tricky bastard):
This weeks’ wins:
- Avoided a $630 health insurance premium! HUZZAH!!! I alluded to this earlier in my “how moving saved us money” post, but the long and the short of it is that my old insurance co. wanted to charge me an entire month’s worth of premium when a) I didn’t need it or want it, and b) I missed the cut off to cancel it by 1 day. Because insurance companies suck and never like to tell you easily how or when your new insurance will kick in. As luck would have it though, the day I missed the cut off was a Sunday so I drafted up and faxed a slick “woe is me” type letter explaining I can’t afford to pay two premiums all at once AND that it was physically impossible for me to have canceled it anyways on a Sunday, and this week I officially got the word that it’s been taken care of :) And by “officially got the word” I mean “Had to sit on a phone for 50 mins until I got to the right person in the right department to tell me it has been, indeed, cancelled out.” But all time worth invested saving us over six hundred dollars we really CAN’T just flush down the toilet for nothing. Man they make it hard…
- Avoided a $150 car insurance penalty! The great state of Maryland told me I was in violation of not having insurance coverage on my car there anymore and that I needed to pay them a $150 fee because of it. And they’d be correct – I don’t have coverage there anymore because I’VE MOVED TO VIRGINIA!! And I mailed y’all a letter stating so, which I know for a fact you received because you then cut me a reimbursement check for the months I pre-paid my registration for! (See below) Ugh… Another hour down the drain getting it sorted out, but at least I’m now off the hook for it finally… Why can’t records ever align properly in some states?
- Got two $65.00 checks from cancelling our old state’s registration — I had 6 or so months on it I believe, so MD sent the wife and I $65 each for reimbursement since it had all been pre-paid. Another nice surprise from moving :)
- Picked up a kick-ass (and cozy!) hoodie for only $5.00 — Thanks Old Navy!! And yeah, hoodie season!!! You’re right around the corner, baby!
So $125 of brand new cash in our hands, and $800ish of unwarranted bills now off the docket from gouging us. If only it was as easy to MAKE $800 by just calling a few people on the phone! Haha…
Now onto our losses for the week, wha wha:
- Got a delayed $350 Emergency Room visit bill :( I don’t know if I blogged about it before, but we had to take Baby $ to the ER back around Easter (all was fine in the end – just a scare) and apparently my (now old) insurance company finally decided to bill us for it. Which we should have been on top of anyways, of course, but you know how life gets and now we have to finally face up to it all. All $350 happy dollar bills about to fly out the window – booooooo…
- Broke my ($11) favorite coffee mug yesterday :( For the THIRD time in a year!! Ugh… the things are so freakin’ hard to find too. It’s one of those old school ceramic Starbucks mugs (the really solid heavy ones, halfway pictured above), and I broke this last one the exact same way I did the others too – by accidentally hitting it against the corner of our kitchen counter :( Funny thing about ceramic – it breaks when swiftly hit on sharp corners!
Two problems I’d gladly take over dishing out $800 worth of erroneous bills :) But you gotta have the downs to appreciate the ups!
So that was my week in money – how about yours? What wins and losses did you have the fortune to come across this week? Anything nice and juicy??
Jay loves talking about money, collecting coins, blasting hip-hop, and hanging out with his three beautiful boys. You can check out all of his online projects at jmoney.biz. Thanks for reading the blog!